2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hello and question

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 05:05 PM
DaveLT19
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello and question

Hello all, new to the forums here. I just picked up a 1994 Ram 5.9L, 2wd, auto for very cheap from a guy i work with.

The engine does not run, the story he gave me was one day it wouldnt start, he assumed the fuel pump had gone out. He poured a little gas in the throttle body and it start, ran rough and had pretty bad knocking. He wasnt sure if he had poured too much gas in and locked up a cylinder or what. He didnt get too far into it, let the truck sit and finally wanted to get rid of it. I went over and he turned the truck over a few times, and i heard the knocking...doesnt sound good.

I got the truck home (towed it), and started taking the engine apart (it would not start, and was getting fuel. So far I have the intake manifold and valve covers off, nothing looks too far out of the ordinary, and the engine spins freely when i turn the crank over. The plenum gasket was blown.

Anyway, still in the process of taking things apart to see what the deal is, but I had a question on motor swaps, in the event that this one is, in fact, shot. I did a search and found a lot of info on swaps, and it appears as though i would be able to put a 97 5.9L into the 94, is that correct (i found a 97 engine for sale locally). would the fact that 94 is OBD I and 97 is OBD2 have any impact?

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-31-2009, 05:31 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveLT19
would the fact that 94 is OBD I and 97 is OBD2 have any impact?
I'll tell you what I told the other newbie, please use more descriptive post titles. Everyone that comes in here has a question or problem so we already know that.

You will need the computer and harness from the '97 and will probably have to add some 02 sensors to your exhaust system if you want to update to OBII. This shouldn't be too difficult a swap, but I'm not sure if the '97 still has an EGR. You might be better off staying with the OBDI system on the new engine. I don't think there's enough mechainical difference to be a problem. Check with your state DMV, first. Some, like CA, require the vehicle to have to meet emissions based on the newer engine and not the chassis. That could mean trouble if you have to get inspected.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:00 PM
RamSport97
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to add, no EGR's on 97's.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:38 PM
Miami_Son
Banned

Originally Posted by RamSport97
Just wanted to add, no EGR's on 97's.
OK, then I guess he will have to use the electronics from the '97.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:18 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 1997 PCMs were not OBD2 fully. They were a hybrid, and mainly OBD1 with some OBD2 sensors thrown in. That's why you see tuners for 98 and up, but Super Chips claims that they can make a one shot tune for the hybrids, if a tuner from a 98 doesn't work.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:15 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

at the risk of making a fool out of myself....
i disagree with everything above ^^. i think you can get a late model engine, and put your original intake and sensors on it, and stick it in. you'll still have an OBD I setup.

if i'm wrong, correct me.

does the obd I use the same cam position sensor and crank position sensor, or do they just not have one at all.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:54 PM
Hammer Down
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^I don't see why that wouldn't work.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:09 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
i disagree with everything above ^^. i think you can get a late model engine, and put your original intake and sensors on it, and stick it in. you'll still have an OBD I setup.

does the obd I use the same cam position sensor and crank position sensor, or do they just not have one at all.
Possible, but remember that the 97 rams were an odd ball truck. Because of the fact that they aren't a full OBD2. Sensors from a 98, or a pcm from a 98 or higher, probably won't work out too well.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:15 PM
Miami_Son
Banned

Originally Posted by Laramie1997
Possible, but remember that the 97 rams were an odd ball truck. Because of the fact that they aren't a full OBD2. Sensors from a 98, or a pcm from a 98 or higher, probably won't work out too well.
Very possible. In looking at 02 sensors for my V10, the part number for a '99 is different for an '00. Something like that could be significant.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:21 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dhvaughan

We're not saying you couldn't make it work, but it wouldn't be as straight forward as a direct mechanical swap. You'd definitely have to do some wiring work, whether you stick with OBD I or go to OBD II. Don't forget the tranny is a 46RH (1994-1995) instead of a 46RE (1996+), not sure if that'd make a computer difference or not.

Quick Reply: Hello and question