2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tranny problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 10:26 PM
DamascusKnifemaker
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny problems

I have a 2001 Ram with a 46RE tranny. It started to shudder badly when over 20 miles an hour. I pulled the tranny and sent it to a performance shop for a rebuild. I got the tranny back yesterday and stabbed it into the truck today. During the test drive I accelerated slowly through town and the tranny seemed to shift through 1st and 2nd okay. I got it out onto the highway and started to accelerate it didn't seem normal as I got over 30mph at 40 mph the truck started to slow quickly and then everything locked up causing the rear tires to skid. It kind of felt like someone had just thrown the tranny in park. I turned the truck around trying to limp it home and it repeated the tire skiding episode. At that point the tranny seemed to lose everything. A kind fellow asked if I needed help and I asked him to inform my wife of the problem so she could tow me home with her Chevy truck (how humiliating). While waiting for her I keep moving the shifter between park and all gears hoping it will move. I reved the motor a bit in reverse and it seemed to catch. I shifted to park and the truck moved forward and I was able to limp the 3/4 mile to the house. I can't contact the rebuilder until Monday. Could a mis adjusted TV Cable cause the above problems?

Old 08-02-2009, 12:44 AM
DODGEPWR
Veteran

I wouldnt have tried to drive it after that happend.. I would have left it alone. Hope its not a mistake you made putting it in. And i hope you didnt rush the install, and made sure you put enough of fluid in it.

If it wasnt somthing you did and its got warranty. send that sucker back!

Old 08-08-2009, 03:22 PM
DamascusKnifemaker
Rookie

Well after speaking with shop they wanted me to look at the transfer case which I did and found nothing amiss. I then drained the transmission and found metal and burnt fluid. The company is sending a will call tag so I can return them the transmission. I have cut my time in removing the transsmision from over 8 hours to under 4 hours.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:33 PM
speeddemon31176
All Star

Sounds to me like a **** poor rebuild. It is hard to find a place that does real quality rebuild work. Over the years I have dealt with several different tranny shops including the national chain names and after all of that I found one place that does transmissions for a well known drag racer that does top notch work but you get what you pay for. I would gladly pay an extra couple hundred for the work to not have to pull/install the trans several times due to poor workmanship. Montec, if he is around should be able to tell you what the deal is more specifically with your problem. Hope they fix it right this time for you.

Quick Reply: Tranny problems