2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Speedometer, ABS, and cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 07:05 PM
cbbama
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer, ABS, and cruise control

Hey everyone, i searched and found lots of threads as to why my speedometer and cruise are not working and why my ABS light stays on.
I have a 99 Ram Sport 2wd. I replaced the switch in the tranny tail and it did nothing. I disconnected the switch on top of the diff. and cleaned it with contact cleaner and the ABS light went off after i did that but still no speedometer or cruise. I checked the cluster with the trip button meathod and they all worked. The brake light also stays on. When the speedo 1st started acting up it would only work at about 60 mph. Then it would only work at around 80. Then it went dead and so did cruise control. Before that the ABS light always stayed on, but beleive it or not the cruise control worked fine. Go figure. LOL!

So whats the best advise as to my next step? Replace the switch on top of the rear end?

Thanks in advance and help me get this thing figured out please.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:56 PM
speeddemon31176
All Star

I would say replace the sensor on the rear first since it is easiest. You may also have an issue with your ABS clockspring but I could be mistaken. Could even be a bad cluster for that matter.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:46 PM
cbbama

I wish i would have just came here 1st and did some research. That DA and Express told me to replace the speed sensor on the tranny. I went to ORiely's and got the sensor for the rear and replaced it and that fixed the problem.
No more ABS light, no more brake light and the speedometer is working thank goodness! I didnt check the cruise control yet, late and i am tired. The check engine light is still on, do i need to reset the PCM?
Last time i had the codes pulled because the CEL was on it had a misfire on #4 and a bad speed sensor. Thats what dude at Advance said anyway. I did total tune up months ago so i assume the CEL is still on because of the RWSS. So should i reset?

Old 08-08-2009, 09:50 PM
speeddemon31176
All Star

Yep disconnect the battery for several minutes and turn your key as though you are try to start the truck with the battery disconnected to drain any residual voltage then reconnect that will clear it or take it to advance and they can clear it with the scanner. Expect some driveability issues as your computer will have to relearn the sensors parameters. If the light comes back on then have them recheck it to see what other issues you may be having.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:53 PM
cbbama

Thanx Speeddemon.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:12 PM
speeddemon31176
All Star

np. If you need more help just ask. There are many knowledgeable people on here who can help. Some guys specialize more in one area more than others which makes this a well rounded forum.

Quick Reply: Speedometer, ABS, and cruise control