2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

cheap cold air intake?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 12:57 AM
Scottmilkeway
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation cheap cold air intake?

anyone have a site (like the url) where i could purchase a cold air intake for about 100$ or less, because the listing on Ebay that i was looking at ended and i am stumped as where to look next so i figured someone on here may be able to tell me where too find one cheap. I really do not care about brand i just want to improve my throttle response and mileage... A.S.A.P. lol

Old 08-05-2009, 01:06 AM
wjxavier
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

all the cold air intakes they have out with the exception of volant(with the super expensive attachment) are nothing different than what you have on there now except for the fact that you get more airflow. you can accomplish that with a 14x3 round air filter. all you need to do is get a 1/4-20 bolt and bend it into a s-shape and throw that puppy on there. bam, lots of airflow, and a awesome old school look lol

Old 08-05-2009, 01:17 AM
Scottmilkeway
Rookie

lol yeahh thats a good idea but i would think it would take in more hot under-hood air than anything else... if anything i would maybe get some flex pipe and a cone filter, but i would like to not "rig it" ya know what i mean?

Old 08-05-2009, 01:19 AM
95MaroonMonster
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

search 14x3 air cleaner

Old 08-05-2009, 01:27 AM
Scottmilkeway
Rookie

yeah i just looked at a few, the one from K&N looks like it would "suck" alot haha, but im looking for something like this http://www.autoanything.com/air-inta...0A2601367.aspx but if nobody comes up with anything like that for cheaper i may just cough up the dough for the spectre, i basically have this already on my truck... essentially someone broke off the back air filter clips (previous owner) so its sucking in hot air anyway... I would really like the CAI, the 14x3 is a great suggestion just not quite what i want

Old 08-05-2009, 01:33 AM
96rumbledodge
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a spectre kkit and absolutly love it paid 128 from jegs shipped to my door i love this kit i didnt like the look of a 14x3 thats why i went with the spectre kit

Old 08-05-2009, 01:41 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Any supposed "CAI" except the Volant or S&B is going to suck hot air from the engine compartment, just like the 14x3. They are not "cold air", as they'd leave you to believe. Those dinky heat shields do little to nothing to help, as they do not fully enclose the filter to protect it. Hot air gets around that very easily.

The Volant or S&B are fully enclosed cone filters, keeping the air as cold as possible. The Volant has an optional (or you can make your own for like $10 in parts from Menards like I did) front piece that, in addition to sucking air from the stock wheel well location, grabs air from the front grille area.

(Excuse the rusty manifolds, on my list of eventual "to do" things...)

The K&N, Spectre, etc., etc. kits are not true CAIs in the case of our trucks. The 14x3 is just as good, if not better, because all you are doing with a non-enclosed CAI is sucking in more air. Its not going to be any colder. Therefore, if you do go with the Spectre or another CAI thats not enclosed, do it for looks, because thats all you're getting over the 14x3.

Thats why several guys here asked you to search for the 14x3, because this has been discussed before.

EDIT: Here is an example of the S&B intake.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...9504&viewitem=

Last edited by jasonw; 08-05-2009 at 01:46 AM.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:52 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 08-05-2009, 02:02 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dakotas ram
i just typed in dodge ram intake and found 87 pages worth
...of the cheap CAIs that are basically the same as a 14x3, if not a tad worse, performance wise.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:37 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i doubt youll feel any kind of difference, i sure didnt going to this

Quick Reply: cheap cold air intake?