2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

99 ram need help QUICK!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 04:42 AM
ztomtog2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 ram need help QUICK!!!

i installed 4 door speakers an amp to power them 2 12 inch subs and another amp to power them and wired them all to a new radio that was already in the truck but just connected with a harness to the existing speakers. after installing everything i turned the key to accessory and to my surprise everything worked fine. i didnt run it for more than a minute and decided to move to truck out of the garage and to the front of the house but when i turned the key it grumbled a little and almost started and then died. and when i would crank it after that it wouldnt start but it would turn over. it was acting like it did when i pulled the fuel relay on my own dodge ram so i thought it wasnt getting fuel so i took a screw driver to the fuel pressure thingy on the fuel rail and a tiny bit of fuel came out but obviously no pressure in the line.but now when i turn the key i hear a whine coming from the rear of the tank which i always thought to be the fuel pump pressurizing the lines. but then i get no pressure. i tried swapping the fuel relay with the one from my truck which obviously works but we got the same exact effect. i dont have any idea whats going on. i know that sometimes when you install new electronic things it can jack up some cars systems but i dont know how or what to do to fix it. even after disconnecting the amps it still wouldnt start. can anyone point me in the right direction?

Old 08-06-2009, 04:51 AM
speeddemon31176
All Star

Check all fuses to start with, both in the dash and under the hood. Once you verify all fuses are good then check for 12 volts at the fuel pump at the tank. If you do not have voltage there check the wires going back to the plugs along the driver side frame rail just in front of the door. If you have acceptable voltage at the pump then verify a good ground. If you have a good ground as well then I would suspect something you did fried the pump some how.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:27 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

check alll fuses, especially ASD and IOD.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:16 AM
ztomtog2

when i turn the key to the on position i hear a short whine coming from the rear of the truck. is that not the fuel pump turning on to pressurize the line?

Old 08-06-2009, 09:40 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

that's exactly what the sound is.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:43 AM
97black_ram
Captain

If it was me I would check and make sure your getting proper fuel pressure. You might turn the key and hear the pump whine, doesn't mean its actually producing any pressure. Go to your local parts store and rent or buy a fuel pressure gauge tester.

Or for a quick test you could spray some starter fluid or ether in the throttle body and see if it starts up. If so, you know what the problem is.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:58 AM
ztomtog2

Well i checked the little pressure valve thingy on the fuel rail that kinda resembled the valve stem on a wheel and there was no pressure. right now my theory is that there is some sort of clog in the fuel system because the truck was nearly ran completely empty on fuel right before it got to my house so im thinkin maybe it sucked up sediment from the bottom of the tank.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:51 AM
ztomtog2

if it means anything the first time we tried starting the truck the check gauges light came on

Old 08-06-2009, 11:26 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Someone did put fuel in it before it got to your house right?

Old 08-06-2009, 11:29 AM
ztomtog2

haha yeah. its got a half a tank in it now but it was nearly ran bone dry. just barely made it to the gas station. i know these trucks dont have inline fuel filters but could the filter in the pump or some other part of the fuel system be clogged?

Quick Reply: 99 ram need help QUICK!!!