2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Intake install?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 08:54 AM
Twisted Metal
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

www.fastman.com, take a look for yourself. Dan's TB's are a very nice compliment to the AirGap.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:15 PM
Trey318
Captain

Wrong link. Here it is: http://thefastman.com/

Old 08-23-2009, 01:45 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddielx
I just got the intake in the mail.Looks good

Check your parts- I was missing parts and had to hunt around for some stuff. I got mine installed last week along with a F&B TB over the Fastman. I was not able to get a hold of Dan or even get through by email- he never responded. Plus, the wait for his TB was two weeks vs. F&B which has them in stock, delivered mine in less than 24 hrs. But, they do cost more. You may not be able to go with a 52MM TB depending on what mods you have done to your engine. If it's mostly stock, I recommend going with a 50MM plates but, if you have modded your engine- then go with the 52MM plate size.

When I did mine, I changed out everything. THe intake, TB< water pump, oil pump, timing chain, T-stat and all the injectors were replaced with Accels. All the hoses were replaced etc. I would replace your injectors and get a new set if you have lots of miles on them. It would make sense to change those to work better with your new intake and TB.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:02 PM
Eddielx
Professional

I will be doing more upgrades in the winter.I might hold off on getting the fastman for the winter.I just replaced the radiator with a new one and all new hoses.

The old radiator was still working but looks to bad

This is my throttlebody I think its a stock one

Old 08-23-2009, 07:26 PM
Eddielx
Professional

WOw took the truck out and you can really tell something is diffrent.If you dont have a air gap you should really get one.Or it could be it not sucking in anymore oil and thats helping it out

I was thinking about putting in the roller rockers and some shorty headers.

Last edited by Eddielx; 08-23-2009 at 07:29 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:34 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker

The engine guy I spoke to said to go with long tube headers for increased performance over shortys. FYI. Mopar performance has some and Pacesetters are good as well.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:03 PM
Eddielx
Professional

I would go longtubes but my exhaust seems to be not too old.Do you need to replace the whole exhaust when you install longtubes?Do you know how much more hp you gain from long to short?

Old 08-23-2009, 10:08 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker

As far as how much HP overall, it's about 10HP from what I was told. And, your going to want to replace the CAT with a high flow model such as a Magnaflow model with 3 inch pipe going all the way back to whatever tip size you think looks cool. I would go with SS pipe to avoid rust and corrosion but, you sure don't have to.

Also, it was mentioned to NOT use a Y pipe into the converter but to use either an H or X pipe for improved flow and less of a bottleneck at the Y junction.

I am suffering big time with the OEM exhaust and shorties. This week, I am ordering all the above and ridding that OEM exhaust that has been choking my truck for years. Just never knew about it until people here told me about it. Then, once you get a bit of information you get to the next step on your own by asking motor heads and what they recommend.

Most of the guys I spoke to said hands down- Mopar performance LTs are one of the best header sets you can get and, they last. Pacesetters were also mentioned and lots of people use those too as I am finding out. Not just on this site but on other sites as well. They are chrome plated and withstand hi heat so they don't discolor or turn yellowish blue-green over time.

Hope that helps.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:31 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sweet happy you like it bro !!! i have longtubes and love them , big improvements all around ,even when they 1st started it, totally diffrent sound, and once i turned onto the highway from the shop diffrence in power and sound , just amazing

im doing the airgap after surgery cant wait !!

Old 08-24-2009, 04:52 PM
Eddielx
Professional

how much did it cost you to have the longtubes put in?
You will really like the air gap.It cost me about $1000 total with the radiator.There is always the little extras that add up when you start something.

Quick Reply: Intake install?