2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Intake install?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 06:05 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddielx
how much did it cost you to have the longtubes put in?
There is always the little extras that add up when you start something.
Tell me about it!

Old 08-24-2009, 07:47 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Eddielx
I have the new intake in I noticed some oil inside but not alot until we set it aside then I noticed alot of oil leaking out of the intake it must have been hiden in there somewhere.
I forgot to get the bypass hose I will pick that up tommrow I hope they stock it.
Its not as easy as they say to install it.Took some time to get the injectors lined up right and some other small things that take time to get right.
I have a mechanic I know installing this for me.

I also need a Radiator the top of it look bowed out
I assembled mine including injectors on the bench prior to dropping it in. That's the easiest way IMO vs. trying to get the injectors to seat after the intake has been installed.

Here's some things to look out for:

Watch out for damaging the o-rings at time of installation. Use clean motor oil to lube the rings prior to installation of injectors. That's about it. They give you plenty of spacers to help line up the mounts to the intake so, there shouldn't be too much of an issue other than the hole alignment of the brackets. They at least drilled the holes off-center to aid in alignment.

I also used four old bolts as dowel pins as an alignment aid. I put Gasgacinch on the intake and on the gaskets (both sides) and on the end seals as well as all mating surfaces on the block to prevent them from moving / slipping during installation of the intake. When done like this, you won't get any leaks vs. just running dry on one side or sealer on one mating surface.

I don't like leaks. That was the main concern was an oil leak in the rear and around the water ports. Around the water ports I used a small bead of RTV right on top of the sealer. Gasgacinch is the best stuff in my opinion. Works fantastic on just about everything except for securing the oil pan gasket to the block. It does not have enough TACK to overcome gravity so, for that application I use Permatex HI TACK gasket sealant. Holds the gasket in place against gravity just fine and allows plenty of time to get the pan in place.

I did my water pump with Gasgacinch as well as the timing cover and the intake along with RTV around the water ports and it's bone dry. No leaks anywhere now. Finally have a leak free truck.

Last edited by cmckenna; 08-24-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:40 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

there is a guy on ebay that sells headers, pacesetter longtubes cerimic coating with a new y-pipe for 600 bucks free shipping cant beat it, anywhere else when i was looking the headers were 600-800 with no y-pipe and still wanted shipping

but i bought my longtubes used and they look brand new and are awesom. the shop charged me 600 to put them on.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:55 AM
cmckenna
Record Breaker

Ok, thanks. I actually want the black ones. Does he sell those too?

Quick Reply: Intake install?