2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Off-Road Trip Prepwork

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 05:09 AM
smitters44
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off-Road Trip Prepwork

Ok, I am looking at taking a one or two day trip to a local off road park, Badlands Off Road Park in Attica, In. I have all the prerequisites for safety, seatbelts and factory hard top.

What are some good items to take for a short one vehicle trip?

I don't have lockers, but I do have 35" tires and a decent lift, at least I will see if it's decent. Oh, it's a 98 Dodge ram short bed if that helps with some tools.

Here is a list of what I had come up with on my own.

Hi-Lift Jack
Come Along..... not a winch because I don't have the money.
Short Chain
****** Strap..... 30 Ft 3 inch wide
Cigarette Lighter air compressor........ seems like a good idea unles it takes an hour to fill one tire.

I have been looking at this website and I think they have some good info, but I want to know what you guys here think.
http://www.offroaders.com/tech/Offroaders_Checklist.htm

Thanks for the help and hope to be wheeling in a few weeks.

Thomas

Old 08-09-2009, 05:41 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

35s will take an hour to fill one tire. i've heard of people bypassing their ac compressors for on board air but i don't know how they did it.
a come along is gonna suck if its only got the 10 ft. cable. you'll also need a long chain or cable to attach the come along to because you don't always get stuck close to a tree. with a come along i would think you would want a big beefy one instead of the common 2000lb one because when you're stuck the mud makes your truck drag and instead of pulling 3 tons you'll be pulling like 3.5 to 4 tons.
high lift jack and a spare are a must too. make sure you have that base plate for it that makes it stand in mud better.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:31 AM
speeddemon31176
All Star

You should bring a good set of wrenches and a socket set of adequate size. Bring extra u-joints as they are common to break. Bring the appropriate size socket for your spindle nut as well. Stub shaft is common failure too. A 12 volt light source ain't bad either if you break down and get stuck fixin it in the dark. OIl, trans fluid, water, gear oil are all good to have on hand. Tire plug kit is good too. Mechanics wire if you need to limp it out with something hanging down you can't get off like exhaust. A first aid kit ain't a bad idea either in case of injury. there are lots of things that are good to have with you as it all depends on the trails you run. As for the inquiry into making an a/c compressor into an air compressor here you go.

You can make your a/c compressor into an air pump by removing the lines except for a short section right where they bolt to your compressor. You install a filter(common use is breather filter) on the suction side and install an adjustable pressure switch on the high side line inline to either a mounted tank or just on the line and splice the hot side line going to the compressor into the pressure switch so you don't overbuild air and go kaboom. The pressure switch cuts power to the clutch when you reach a preset limit.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:46 AM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

take a good shovel........ belive me

Old 08-09-2009, 01:55 PM
Dr Donut
Veteran

food is always a good idea! also a cell phone even though I am assuming that u have one

Quick Reply: Off-Road Trip Prepwork