2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Any one use a flex fan with a fan clutch eliminater?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 01:33 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its still spinning tho and weighs more

Old 08-12-2009, 02:04 AM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dakotas ram
its still spinning tho and weighs more
But it's not spinning full speed unless it needs to! Clutch fans take very little power when not needed. A solid fan is always spinning, not to mention it's LOUD.

IMO it's a waste of time to convert one type of mechanical fan to another, go electric or don't bother.

http://www.bmcforums.com/showthread.php?t=12578

Quotes from that thread
Oh man PLEASE don't put a flex fan on that thing. I tried one of those on a 302 and it COST ME HORSEPOWER. It was a Flex-a-Lite (the metal kind, not the plastic one) with an aluminum spacer. It sounded weird and made my car sluggish as hell. I even tried one with the opposite rotation WITH THE SAME RESULTS. Do yourself a favor and either go electric or get a Special Service fan clutch.
What he said. I tried a flex fan on my 88 gt and it eats a lot of power. For the street I would go with an upgraded clutch fan, police intercepter fan.

Last edited by Hahns5.2; 08-12-2009 at 02:11 AM.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:28 AM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Flex fans have been around since the 70's. If they were so great, don't you think everyone would be using them? The fan clutch can be heavier, but the weight is not the issue, it's the drag on the engine. Why do you think many rear wheel drive cars have gone to electric fans, not the weight but the drag. If you free up your engine with one less thing to move around, you have more HP. When you want power out of your motor do you run the A/C? No, you turn it off because of less drag.

The flex fan will run all the time, while the clutch is an on/off thing as needed. The flex will also flatten out and that is also a problem. At high speeds it looses it's effectiveness. I have had both, and wouldn't use a flex fan again. It's noisy, ugly, and cools less than the clutch. On the car that had the flex, I eventually went back. I still have that flex sitting in my garage. One bad thing that hasn't been mentioned is that the flex's used to be known for throwing blades. The blades over time would become brittle and brake. I haven't seen it, but have heard of it.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:37 PM
oiler
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm definately going with the FC. $60 bucks with lifetime warrenty. I would love the e fan, but the ones my parts store carries (Hayden I believe), shows that i would need 2 for the 360 CID. Then throw in the thermostat I would be around $200 bucks. It Would be a killer set up, but new tires are around the corner.

Quick Reply: Any one use a flex fan with a fan clutch eliminater?