2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

still runs like s*#% ,what else could it be?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 04:10 PM
frankie27
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

could it be the egr? or would it throw a code? my guess is whatever is causing the blue smoke might be the colpret.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:37 AM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now you have blue smoke too? That could be the plenum. But you shouldn't be sputtering with a plenum leak. Smoke and knocking yes.
I think you've got a couple of problems and unfortunately none are cheap fixes. Before you do anything, you might start looking at the rest of the truck (suspension, tranny, steering, etc) and see if there are other issues you'll need to take care of. Then add up the cost of fixing all that. Then decide if it is worth putting that kind of money into the truck or putting that money towards another one.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:04 PM
frankie27
Rookie

just pulled the fuel pump off looked it over everything checks out fine had a little gunk in the filter/screen, nothing that looked to bad, its just a little blue smoke when you rev it up real fast but no knocking, you can smell exguast fumes real bad, specially when its sputtering, i looked at the cat it has little weld spots all over the side of it, like someone had already gutted it, i live in the stix, lagrande OR. so im sure they did, so those new sensors i put on it was just me pissin in the wind! if you can come up with something from this let me know, i appreciate all the help.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:52 PM
nastrk99
Default Mine does the same

Keep us posted I have a 98 with a 360 same problems. Im pulling down my tank today. Its been doing it for a few years now. The guy i bought it from told me about it so i took it to two different shops who replaced all the sensors and gave up on it.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:00 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by frankie27
just pulled the fuel pump off looked it over everything checks out fine had a little gunk in the filter/screen, nothing that looked to bad, its just a little blue smoke when you rev it up real fast but no knocking, you can smell exguast fumes real bad, specially when its sputtering, i looked at the cat it has little weld spots all over the side of it, like someone had already gutted it, i live in the stix, lagrande OR. so im sure they did, so those new sensors i put on it was just me pissin in the wind! if you can come up with something from this let me know, i appreciate all the help.
I live in the stix too, that doesn't mean my cat is gutted by someone! LOL Keep wasting time and working all around the problem, instead of making sure.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:07 PM
nastrk99

I pulled my tank and pump out, how do i check it? The truck runs but studders and stalls and will just quit while driving. I dont have to restart it all i do is bump the throttle and it will restart and go. Will a fuel pump act like this or just quit alltogether????

Old 08-13-2009, 10:29 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm talking about the cat you were going to gut.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:24 AM
frankie27
Rookie

my cat has about 15 or so little weld spots all over it, and smellss like fuel real bad, and sounds hollow if you tap on it wit something,thats why i think its already gutted, sounds like it is too. ive only had the pickup for about a month, so i dont know whats been done and what hasnt? i dont have to restart mine just floor it and it will clear out for a few minutes then it wants to do it again, or first thing in the morning it will as i pull away from the house. one of you ram heads gotta know whats going on come on fellas!!! its progressively getting worse.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:08 AM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like it is also running rich.
I don't know that a fuel pump failure is typically on the gunked up side. It seems like most failures are on the electrical side of the pump and requires replacing the whole thing.
It sputtering and cutting out could be from a too rich condition or the pump cutting off or both. You flooring it and 'clearing' it means you're bringing in more air and pushing more volume. It's not fixing anything.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:09 PM
frankie27
Rookie

i did a pressure test when it was sputtering and dieing out and it went from 45lbs to about 43lbs fuel pressure, so i dont think its the pump? would a dirty intake manifold make it run that bad and just at random times or would it be more of a constant thing? ive read on here that some people say that the front o2 sensor cause it to do that, then others say it wont? im wondering if that high voltage codes that its giving is the problem codes are 132 and 138.

Quick Reply: still runs like s*#% ,what else could it be?