2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Painting the chrome?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 12:18 AM
Rebhays27
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting the chrome?

Anyone have pictures of the rear "chrome" bumber painted. Does anyone have any suggestions on which paint is best or os duplicote the best?

I want to black out the rear of my truck and would like the black chrome look. Like you see on most of the black rims. I was also wondering if nightshade would work on it?

I saw several old threads but nothing really answered this question
Thanks

Old 08-12-2009, 01:02 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well, you can paint it black and clear it, then wetsand and polish to get a deep color.....at the parts stores they have this that might work

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/metalcast.html

Old 08-12-2009, 01:28 AM
Rebhays27
Professional

[QUOTE=dakotas ram;1768163]well, you can paint it black and clear it, then wetsand and polish to get a deep color.....at the parts stores they have this that might work

I'm currently replacing the front bumper with a paintable one I'm going to test it on the chrome one I remove but for the long haul I didn't know if the chrome would hold the paint. Thanks Dakota

Last edited by Rebhays27; 08-12-2009 at 01:38 AM.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:32 AM
dakotas ram
Champion

if you roughen it up enuff it will, i would be shady about the stuff i linked to you and to nightshade since you dont sand it 1st

Old 08-12-2009, 01:45 AM
DODGEPWR
Veteran

Id say if you prep it good enough it will work. Sand it down and use a good degreaser to clean it after sanding. I use simple green to degrease/clean stuff before paint. Works great for me!

Old 08-12-2009, 01:51 AM
Rebhays27
Professional

Originally Posted by dakotas ram
if you roughen it up enuff it will, i would be shady about the stuff i linked to you and to nightshade since you dont sand it 1st
Originally Posted by DODGEPWR
Id say if you prep it good enough it will work. Sand it down and use a good degreaser to clean it after sanding. I use simple green to degrease/clean stuff before paint. Works great for me!
Yeah that's one of the issues I had was how much is rough enough? I don't want to have to sand the chrome all the way down I'm assuming just sand down the gloss.

I just finished the nightshade on my brake lenses I think it looks good at least good enough for me I don't plan on entering TOTM anytime soon (or ever) I'll post pics when I'm done.

Which reminds me anyone ever remove the plastic piece on the tailgate? if so how does it come off? I want to paint it as well if it's too much a PITA I'll just tape it off.
Thanks guys

Old 08-12-2009, 02:05 AM
dakotas ram
Champion

just leave it on, i taped mine off and painted it with duplicolr trim paint, gives it a real nice black, since its so textured, just be sure and clean it real good......i remove mine the other day and it wasnt real fun

Old 08-12-2009, 02:25 AM
Rebhays27
Professional

That's what I thought thanks

Old 08-12-2009, 06:46 AM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Take the black tailgate thing off. Although I still had some of the tape left on the tailgate, it was the best thing I had done!

Quick Reply: Painting the chrome?