2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

V10 SP wire routing

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 12:11 PM
Gotta feed them horses
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V10 SP wire routing

I got new wires for my truck. Ive heard that certain wires shouldn't be near or touching other wires. Which ones are they? The guys who did the wires last time seem to have just jumbled them all together, so I don't really want to follow their example. Thanks for any help!

Old 08-15-2009, 01:19 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep the 5,7,and 9 from touching each other.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:21 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

do those plugs fire in sequence one right after the other? the re-route for the v8s says to get the 2 on each side that fire one right after the other away from each other.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:26 PM
Gotta feed them horses
Professional

Thanks Miami Son. You really do know your V10 stuff, it's been a lot of help.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:44 PM
Miami_Son
Banned

Originally Posted by Gotta feed them horses
Thanks Miami Son. You really do know your V10 stuff, it's been a lot of help.
Thanks, but I'm still learning about the V10 despite being around Dodge trucks since the late '70s. I read all I can on this beast because there really aren't too many knowledgeable mechanics out there that have even seen one. I spent hours reading through all the service bulletins on mine and the plug wires was one of them. Early V10s (prior to 1999) had crossfire issues between 5, 7 and 9 that could be so bad that a spun rod bearing was the result. Indy knows way more than I do about them, he's had one for years.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:45 PM
Gotta feed them horses
Professional

Well, I screwed it up. The wires were all jumbled up before and now they are just plain wrong. I don't know what I did wrong. Its only the odds on the right side that are fudged up. Basically, the idle is rough now and kinda bounces about 1-2 hundred rpms. I revved the engine up while standing over it and noticed a new knock coming from inside the engine, maybe the cam shaft, that sounds like a wood pecker knocking on wood. It only happens when I give it some juice. Where would i find a picture or diagram of how the wires are supposed to be routed? The 5,7,9 are not touching. I want to fix this before driving around, just in case.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:07 PM
Gotta feed them horses
Professional

Could somone take some pictures of the right side (where the long wires go) or tell me a website where I could find some pictures? My email is wolfieschaum@gmail.com Im desperate!!!!

Old 09-10-2009, 11:47 PM
Gotta feed them horses
Professional

if nobody helps me I might go crazy. I might tie all of the sparkplug wires together and hang myself. Its so annoying that v10s have hardly any info on the web. I'm depending on this forum. HELP!!!

Old 09-11-2009, 12:16 AM
Miami_Son
Banned

The right side is the passenger side (right and left are determined as you sit behind the wheel) and that is the even numbered side. The odd side is the driver's side and they are numbered 1-3-5-7-9 starting with the front most cylinder and going back. The coils are numbered, so mixing them up is pretty difficult.

Quick Reply: V10 SP wire routing