2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I think my plenum is leaking..

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 06:58 PM
Trey318
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think my plenum is leaking..

LOL I took off my throttle body to clean it, and the whole underside of each throttle plate was wet with oil, the barrels of the manifold were coated in oil, and the throttle body gasket had been seeping out oil on the manifold.

So.. I wanna know of any adverse affects of going ahead and bolting on my M1. The barrels and intake ports have been bored and ported for the eddy heads and a bigger bore on the throttle body, which is my main concern. What do you guys think? Will I see any bad effects from this?

If theres none, I'm going to go ahead and start strippin her down, and my dad will pick up gaskets and bolts tomorrow.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:22 PM
Trey318
Captain

Edit: found out I could use normal Felpro gaskets/bolts from Hahns5.2

Also checked the throttle body bore to my manifold and its like 1/32 off. I dont think that'll hurt. I think the gaskets will also cover the extra porting for the heads, so I'm not too worried now. I think I might go ahead and get a 180* t-stat too.

Last edited by Trey318; 08-17-2009 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:46 AM
Trey318
Captain

You can see the seepage I was talkin about here.

Using the night flash on my camera, I took a picture down the manifold. Looks pretty oily to me..

Old 08-17-2009, 05:00 PM
DODGEPWR
Veteran

IMO doesnt look too bad down there in the manifold. That could be oil from the pcv tube..

Ive gotta take a look at mine. But im not loosing any oil at all so. I guess ill wait untill then.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:41 PM
Trey318
Captain

I'm pretty sure it's the plenum bro. 238k, with that gasket never being replaced.. I'm pretty damn sure. I lost a quart of oil since my last oil change, and at least a quart the oil change before. Not to mention my exhaust tips are coated black like its been running rich. Either way, I already have the alt and compressor unbolted, as well as the fuel rails. My dad's picking up the bolts and gaskets from Oreillys as we speak and that M1 is getting bolted onto my 318.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:02 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Make sure the pan bolts are not too long.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:53 PM
Trey318
Captain

The M1 is on with all new Fel-Pro gaskets and bolts. Broke the freakin sensor that goes right next to the thermostat. The one on the M1 was broke in the exact same way lol. Gotta pick one up from Oreillys in the morning. I also have to get some 3/8" hose to extend my brake booster and PCV lines, as they wouldnt quite reach. Gonna have to extend the wiring on one of the sensors as well. Hopefully I'll call it wraps tomorrow evening after my dad is home from work and checks my handy work over well. Then we can see if she'll run lol.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:16 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, them sensors are crap.....broke both of mine

Old 08-19-2009, 12:45 AM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How to tell you have a blown plenum is just to remove the breather and PCV and place your hand over both holes. If a vacuum is present on the PCV side, you have a blown plenum. That's the easiest way to check. Mine is running so mint now that I have replaced my intake with the Hughes FI. Really nice intake and no leaks. Just be sure to check for oil leaks in the rear. Did you use RTV around the water ports? What type of gasket sealer did you use on the Felpro gaskets?

Did you end up using end seals or RTV? I also hope that no RTV was used around the intake ports as that creates some problems with melted RTV that ends creating a real mess inside the engine due to it melting.

The most important thing is to clean it extremely well along with using a really good gasket sealer. Apply a small bead of RTV around the water ports only - none around the intake ports. Use gasket sealer for everything else including the gaskets. Felpro gaskets run dry without any adhesive but, I find that a good gasket sealer is still necessary to prevent movement. Apply 4 small beads of RTV in the 4 corner valleys after the manifold gaskets are in place. Clean your end seals (if your using them- depending on intake), and coat the end seals with the sealer on both sides. Drop those down and seat them well. Apply a tad more of RTV to the end areas. Use 4 - 5/16 bolts with the heads cut off as alignment pins into the 2 outside, front holes and the two holes two holes up from the rear on both sides. If placed in the two holes in the rear, you will not be able to slide the intake under the distributor. Scoot the end in first under the distributor then lower the intake straight down over the alignment screws and seat it on the end gaskets. Follow the OEM torque sequence to prevent damage / warping of the intake. Let dry overnight. You should be good to go.

What kind of injectors are you using?

I just got done installing mine last week. I used the Hughes FI / Edlebrock intake. Really nice intake. I also did the water pump, replaced all the injectors with Accels, put on a new Hughes timing chain kit- very nice chain set, oil pump and finally replaced the fuel pump as all were shot. I have over a quarter of a million miles on my truck and it still runs great. Especially now. I just need a new TB and a totally new exhaust system to complete the 101s.

Hope yours comes out good.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:55 AM
Trey318
Captain

The Fel-Pro gasket set came with end seals, so I used em. I spent more time prepping than anything. After the stock kegger was off, I used the trusty gasket scraper with 6 rags taped together tucked in around the heads in the valley and had at it. After that, I used my dad's stone with a lil WD-40 and rubbed on the gasket surface for a little while to make sure everything was clean and square. Had to use the stone on the M1 as well because the guy I bought it from had apparently went crazy with a grinder on the gasket material. The stone got out most of the gouges in it. My dad has done mechanical work for many many years and put the RTV around the water jackets, corners, and torqued the bolts for me. I took over from there.

I'm running stock injectors. Might consider swapping the bigger ford injectors that I've heard of when my 408 is ready.

I'm reaching that quarter million mile marker. 238k on the odometer as of now.

Quick Reply: I think my plenum is leaking..