2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

question about suspension/steering

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 04:59 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default question about suspension/steering

ok, i was under my truck yesterday replacing my cat and have been noticing a few things that look like they need replacing. i know i need new u-joints, so when i was looking at those, i realized that my left lower ball joint looked a little rusty and dry and the little rubber boot thing kinda just fell off when i tugged on it. do you think it needs replacing? or can i just wiggle the knuckle back and forth to see if it needs it? also, it says in the haynes manual to take the knuckle and ball joint to a shop to have it pressed in. is that required or can i pound it in?

also, on the stabalizer bar, the connection on the drivers side(where it connects to that bracket thing by the coil spring) its cocked pretty far to the right...is this normal? or is it screwed up and needs replacing? just curious.

also lots of squeaks and stuff when i'm turning. should i just lube everything that has a fitting? lol i dont know when the last time was it had a lube job.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:32 PM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, it needs replacing if the boot is falling off. Seeing if you can wiggle it will tell you if you can wait a bit to do it or if you shouldn't be on the road at all.
Never heard of taking it to be pressed. They make ball joint tools you can buy or rent.

That's somewhat normal but the ***** could be shot. May need to end links.

Lube it. Do it. Lube it good.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:08 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ok...thanks alot for the advice

Old 08-17-2009, 08:51 PM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wjxavier
just fell off when i tugged on it.
Didn't your mother ever teach you not to tug on things cause they may fall off?

Old 08-17-2009, 09:02 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The squeaking you are hearing is more than likely a failing ball joint.

Pressing them out and back in is the easiest route, but nicely beating them in is somewhat feasable too (I did a few that way on my truck). I rented the press from auto zone and it worked wonderful (and its free as long as you bring it back).

Im not sure on other trucks, but on my dana 44 the ball joints actually press into the axle portion of the "C", not the spindle.

Quick Reply: question about suspension/steering