2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

aaaahhhhh i think my truck wants to be a harley

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 08:14 PM
2damnyankee
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aaaahhhhh i think my truck wants to be a harley

today i come home from work and see alittle wet spot under the truck. So i crawl under there and to my surprise the seal between the trans and transfer case is leaking. Now i have to finish up the project in the garage before i can roll in the truck to fix that. You know that cash for clunkers is starting to sound good rite about now.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:06 PM
Oren09
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's just marking its territory!

Old 08-18-2009, 09:29 PM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker

Come on dude, it's just your basic maintenance. I don't think you want to give up the MOPAR to be driving a Corolla do ya? Cause that's the only way you will get the $4500.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:31 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

pour in more fluid. park in the dirt.
there, problem solved.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:36 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Thats what my uncle tells me. "If its leaking, just keep putting more fluid in!" "That way in a year your fluid in the case will be changed!" I have never changed the oil in my S-10!

Old 08-18-2009, 10:24 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
I have never changed the oil in my S-10!
seriously, there is one flaw with that. a guy at work had an old beater that drank oil and he continuously poured in new but never changed it for a couple of years or more or more. also, the oil light stayed on all the time. but, he kept it full on the dipstick so he figured it'd be ok.

well one day it ate a bearing and started knocking. so he dropped the pan and discovered that it had several inches of sludge in the bottom, and so even though it was full on the stick, it only had about 1 or 2 quarts of oil in it.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:26 AM
Dodgeman000
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

make sure the fluid level in the tranny is ok. it possible to leak fluid into your transfercase and starve your tranny of oil

Old 08-19-2009, 09:24 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

would it hurt anything to let the seal leak into the transfer case and overfill it? by that i mean: the tranny gets low from leaking into the transfer case, so you fill it back up on the dipstick. now the tranny is at the right level but the transfer case is over full. i know there is a vent on top of the transfer case and it would leak all over the passenger fender in the engine if it were full to the top, but would it hurt to have too much fluid in the t case?

Old 08-19-2009, 07:49 PM
2damnyankee
Veteran

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
would it hurt anything to let the seal leak into the transfer case and overfill it? by that i mean: the tranny gets low from leaking into the transfer case, so you fill it back up on the dipstick. now the tranny is at the right level but the transfer case is over full. i know there is a vent on top of the transfer case and it would leak all over the passenger fender in the engine if it were full to the top, but would it hurt to have too much fluid in the t case?
what wait a minute I never said the seal that leads into the transfer case is leaking I said the seal where the transfercase and trans connected are leaking (where the bolts are its leaking) and yes i checked to see if they are tight. By the looks of it the rtv silicone let loose.

so now the new gasket's seals and shift kit are on order plus 4 new u-joints

Old 08-19-2009, 07:58 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
seriously, there is one flaw with that. a guy at work had an old beater that drank oil and he continuously poured in new but never changed it for a couple of years or more or more. also, the oil light stayed on all the time. but, he kept it full on the dipstick so he figured it'd be ok.

well one day it ate a bearing and started knocking. so he dropped the pan and discovered that it had several inches of sludge in the bottom, and so even though it was full on the stick, it only had about 1 or 2 quarts of oil in it.
That was a joke. I just changed the oil in it to Valvoline Maxlife and AC Delco filter. Its just that the whole underside of the engine is covered in oil, so I like to joke about it.

Quick Reply: aaaahhhhh i think my truck wants to be a harley