2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wild Vents Problem - Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 01:44 PM
JimLewis
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wild Vents Problem - Questions

I've tried to read up on this before posting. But there are so many threads on this and I am getting conflicting information. I just want to clear a few things up.

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram SLT 5.2L V-8. Same wild vents problem everyone else has (vents switch to window under load and switch back when throttle is released).

So I read the TSB thing here;
http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1996/24-01-96a.htm

But that says it's for a 1994-1996 Dodge Ram. So does the same fix still work for a 2001???

My second question is; there seems to be a lack of consensus as to where to place the check valve. The TSB says one place. But other users of this forum have installed it on other vacuum lines. Which one is correct?

Third question; I spoke with a Dodge mechanic who is ASE master tech., 30 years experience, etc. He suggested I needed to replace the vacuum reservoir. Is that a possibility? Are those expensive?

Final question; as for the one-way check valve, I can't find that part anywhere online. One thread gave the part number and a website to go to. But now that website doesn't exist and all the other dodge parts websites don't understand that part number. So can anyone point me in the right direction? Or is this just something I can pick up from any NAPA auto parts?

Old 08-19-2009, 02:03 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can get check valves at almost any parts store, but the catch it making them work on your hose fittings. Me, personally followed the TSB to a point and it worked. I actually ended up putting the valve to the right of the T and it cured my issues. I think where other people are putting the CVs is inline with the vac line to the cruise control under the battery box. I didn't have a leak there, and my cruise control worked just fine. That's why I followed the TSB.

You can also take that part number to any Chrysler dealership and they should be able to get it for you. It's a jeep part, so if you walk into a Dodge dealer, they might look at you a little funny. Even from the dealer, the part was like $7.xx.. So it's not like your gonna walk out of their store with a sore ***.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:41 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

just locate your existing check valves around the passenger side intake and firewall, and replace them. you probably have 2 or 3 of them. if you don't have any, then insert one to isolate your hvac control in the cab, and the vac reservoir, from the intake manifold. (so it can hold vac when you put your foot in it and the manifold vac drops)

the vac reservoir is under the cowl, passenger side and it has a vac line running to it. if was leaking, it would need replacing. however, its just an empty plastic box, so there's little likelyhood that its leaking. the vac line going to it might be, so you should test that.

you can test them by blowing through them, sucking on them, or using a little hand held vac pump with a gauge. available at parts stores for $10-20.

Quick Reply: Wild Vents Problem - Questions