2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New PCM

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 09:52 PM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ I wouldn't count on the Dodge PCM being NEW. When I first bought my 91 Accord, it had a fancy Alpine Cassette player with all sorts of doodads. It was a brand new car and after about 6 months the player went out on me. So under warranty they replaced it. 7 months later it goes out again, and this rep tells me they will replace it with a rebuilt one (which the first guy never told me). I said I have a brand new car and want a brand new unit. The answer was that Honda policy was to rebuild all the units and put them back in circulation. I complained to management and got no where. If Honda would do that to a brand new customer with a brand new car, what do you think Dodge will do with these PCMs? Not new, trust me. BTW I had that head unit replaced like 3 times under warranty and it went bad on me again out of warranty. Finally replaced it with an after market unit. My Dodge cheapo head unit is still working great after 13 years. Every car maker has its good and crappy stuff.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:00 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

you need a pcm with the following:

Same engine, tranny, OBD cluster, emissions and security group. It can even cross years.

-If you have a SCT Tuner, a 5.2 PCM can run a 5.9 and vice versa.
-The tranny is due to PCM controlled shifts and lockups in the auto tranny.
-OBD should be obvious, varying sensors and data will be missing for the PCM and cause issues.
-Emissions refers to the PCM looking for 2 or 4 O2 sensors.
-The security group would refer to power locks and alarm system.