2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fog Lamp Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 06:38 PM
truegent81
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fog Lamp Problems

how are yall doing? im brand new to this site, i used to drive a ford but recently bought a 2001 dodge ram. i'm pretty excited about it and of course when buying vehicles, we want it to be done our way so i've come across some minor issues. first, the fog lamps didnt work. i replaced the fuse, and put two NEW bulbs in. i turn on the lamps and only one lights up. i went to auto zone because i wanted to test the current to the "dead" side but they didn't have anything. can someone help me out on this please? it looks like crap with one burnt out and i would like to get this taken care of soon. thanks again. also, i don't have a shop so i only have limited basic tools living in an apartment.

down the road i will tackle the ball joints (just had new u joints put on) and how to fix the dang front cup holder. dang thing is broke...any cheap (not trashy) ways to fix this as well? this is my first 4wd truck and i'm pumped because thats what i have always wanted

Old 08-21-2009, 07:13 PM
oldspartan
Amateur

I had this happen once and it was a rusty socket that was killing the ground to taht side. Also check the wiring to the socket, could be
simple bad wire.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:25 PM
truegent81
Captain

if it was a bad wire, wouldnt i just replace the whole fog lamp harness? but heck i havent found a replacement harness either. i hear dodge doesnt like to "give up" their parts to autozone, napa, etc. i mean the wire looks good visibly...will check

i'm gonn go check the wiring real quick while its still light out

thanks so far

Old 08-21-2009, 07:30 PM
oldspartan
Amateur

while you're at it you might look a all the contacts in the lamp and make sure there is good contact there. Years ago while I was working in a truck stop this rust in the lights was not uncommon.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:43 PM
truegent81
Captain

yeah, i went out there and followed the harness to all the connections and it seemed fine. i wiggled the connections and still nothing. im thinking maybe that connection in the socket (fog lamp pigtail) is jacked up. is there a device i can use to test the current going to the connector? if i can do that, then i'll know that the connection is jacked and to order a new pigtail.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:57 PM
oldspartan
Amateur

A simple 12 volt test light will do. Put the probe on the light against the contact in the socket and the end of the wire in contact with ground like the truck frame or some solid metal part of the front bumper support.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:14 PM
oldspartan
Amateur

If you don't get the test light on you could then see about checking on the backside if possible. My guess would be rust or dirt that is keeping the ground side of the circuit from completing.

Quick Reply: Fog Lamp Problems