2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

help on some issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 08:42 PM
Whiteram01
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help on some issues

looked in the search engine didnt really find to much of what i was looking for

Ok first thing is does anyone have pictures of all the greasing points for the 01 ram 4x4?

i have a squeak (sounds like a bird cherp) in my front end over bumps and crappy roads... Safe to asume ball joints? I was also hearing something bout it could come from the steering.. Dont know..

Started truck trunk runs fine went to use cruise control and nothing.. Worked the day before hell even work a few hours before.. Now nothing.. Light comes on but wont set.. Also when i want to set it now the "abs"(yellow light) and "brake"(red light) come up on my dash...

Thinking i need to change my brakes (reason) when im cornering at slow speeds i feel almost a grinding in the rear of the truck.. Fluids were changed before i bought the truck.. Should i drain and see if i can see shavings or can my drumbs be bad and they are worn completely..

Old 08-22-2009, 09:06 PM
Twisted Metal
Captain

Originally Posted by Whiteram01
looked in the search engine didnt really find to much of what i was looking for

Ok first thing is does anyone have pictures of all the greasing points for the 01 ram 4x4?

i have a squeak (sounds like a bird cherp) in my front end over bumps and crappy roads... Safe to asume ball joints? I was also hearing something bout it could come from the steering.. Dont know..

Started truck trunk runs fine went to use cruise control and nothing.. Worked the day before hell even work a few hours before.. Now nothing.. Light comes on but wont set.. Also when i want to set it now the "abs"(yellow light) and "brake"(red light) come up on my dash...

Thinking i need to change my brakes (reason) when im cornering at slow speeds i feel almost a grinding in the rear of the truck.. Fluids were changed before i bought the truck.. Should i drain and see if i can see shavings or can my drumbs be bad and they are worn completely..

The ABSand Brake light on sounds like the speed sensor or ABS sensor, which would cause the cruise not to engage. Can't really help on the 4x4, mine is 2wd, and only has 5 grease points on the steering only.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:28 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

these trucks are prone to squeak squeak squeak from the auto transmission linkage, where the up/down rod pivots to the front/rear rod. there are nylon bushings that dry and crack. coat them with grease to silence.

check your brakes, but might be rear axle bearings or maybe rear end.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:28 AM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, you've got a lot going on.
Pictures of grease points... no, you should pick up a Chilton.
Bird chirp only over bumps... I'd start at suspension parts. But it could also be a body mount or something rubbing that is making the noise (completely unrelated to suspension or steering).
No cruise control... could be loss of vacuum. When you set cc, other lights come on. That one is a new one on me. I can't think of why they'd come on. Hopefully someone with your year will comment.
Grinding noise in rear only during turns... Is there a limited slip in the rear of yours? When the fluid was changed, I wonder if additive was put in.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:17 AM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker

Noise and squeaks, I personally don't have time to mess around with silly little noises so I just pull out the can of WD-40 and lube the heck out of every joint under the hood and under the truck.

The ABS light and Brake light is most likely caused by your speed sensor on the rear differential. Grinding noise, if thats coming from the rear differential it is either something chipped or broke back there, or worse I would be afraid that the speed sensor broke into the pumpkin. I have heard they are prone to breaking on removal, and it's a funny coincidence it started at the same time.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:54 PM
Whiteram01

Ok only found 3 grease points wonder if there are more on the 4x4 model.. Saw the bushings on the fronted are cracking bad on the passenger side.. Could that be my squeaking problem.. I wouldnt care to much but the squeaking sometimes can be felt in the steering wheel..

Rearend im going to get checked for that sensor. Yah it feels like a grind but more like its rubbing on something.. Idk i got a couple grand to fix my girl just want it going nice so it will last till college is done and a few yrs after..lol.. Thanks guys for issues to check out and if you think of anything else please ask or say...

Quick Reply: help on some issues