2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hard to start the first time; ok afterwards. Help?

Old 09-01-2009, 09:59 PM
DesertDually
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent instructions on removing the TB above, but I would check the fuel pressure first. Its easy to check and could cause the symptoms. I had the same symptoms on a different vehicle (not my Dodge) and it turned out to be the fuel pressure regulator. Being old enough to have lots of experience with carburetors, cold start symptoms being related to fuel pressure didn't make sense so I checked a lot of things before the fuel pressure which it turned out to be. Good luck!

Old 09-01-2009, 11:44 PM
mnewbolds
Veteran
Talking

I did this today, HELL YEAH IT WORKED!!!! I did not replace the IAC but i will when i get a chance. It starts smooth and stays smooth. Thanks for the info and good luck to you. Remember... aluminum does not like overtorquing!!

Oh, by the way... make sure you unhook the battery. I forgot to and started it after this was done. Idled at 2200. Reset computer after just to be safe. 1995 just undo the neg battery connection and turn key to on position. YOU'RE DONE. DRIVE SAFE OR SELL IT!!!

Last edited by mnewbolds; 09-01-2009 at 11:47 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:10 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DesertDually
Excellent instructions on removing the TB above, but I would check the fuel pressure first. Its easy to check and could cause the symptoms. I had the same symptoms on a different vehicle (not my Dodge) and it turned out to be the fuel pressure regulator. Being old enough to have lots of experience with carburetors, cold start symptoms being related to fuel pressure didn't make sense so I checked a lot of things before the fuel pressure which it turned out to be. Good luck!
What were the symptoms? I would like to get some information so that I can build up my own knowledge bank. Mine just up and died on me last year without any warning while in commute. No symptoms etc. It just up and died.

Old 03-02-2018, 09:47 PM
Cavelar16

Hey how is it going guys, new to the forum. I am currently having a problem with my 2001 dodge ram cummins, i am starting it up and it cranks for about 1-3 seconds after it turns on the idle goes from high to low after that the truck turns on perfectly fine. Any suggestions or solutions? Thank y'all!

Old 04-25-2018, 04:37 PM
Black Lab Dog
Default check valve

mine did the same thing, it was the check valve in the fuel pump

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hard to start the first time; ok afterwards. Help?