2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

weird theory

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 02:04 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

isnt no convertor pretty much illegal in all of the US? if you dont get inspected then why not?.......i was just doing some reading and under the arkansas regulation it states crankcase system too, so most of you with the 14x3 and the small open valve breather are illlegal probably

Old 08-26-2009, 02:11 AM
speeddemon31176
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

technically it is illegal to modify most of your vehicle especially when it comes to emissions. Catalytic convertors are federally mandated under the clean air act for all 50 states. It is a veeerrrrryyyy expensive fine for removing, altering, or modifying the cat in any way. Such as hollowing them out. I personally have never seen an inspector disassemble an exhaust to see if the cat was altered. Basically under the visual inspection if it is there they are happy. same goes for smog equipment such as air pumps and air tubes that connect to exhaust manifolds. your egr valve needs to be there but it doesn't mean it functions. I have seen guys put a steel plate between the intake and egr and as long as you gasket it up right it won't leak and technically passes as long as you don't mention what you did and if asked you answer the question right.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:53 AM
Oren09
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about states without a vehicle inspection like Montana? I want to remove my cat because it's going bad (rattles internally), and noone here cares.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:08 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well, i have mine completely removed and i dont get inspected

Old 08-26-2009, 10:53 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by speeddemon31176
According to PA inspection rule book it states that the vehicle must be equipped with all parts that it was equipped with from the factory to include mufflers, resonators, and catalytic convertors. As far as where the exhaust may exit it states that the exhaust may exit anywhere behind the passenger compartment of the vehicle and must exit out from under the vehicle, as in no turndowns. In the case of a truck it must exit behind the cab and come out the sides past the body. Just thought that might help your decisions some. I know that some places will let you "slip" on some stuff but no sense in pushing the envelope.
thats how it is in NC. thats why my y pipe has the shell of a muffler welded onto it

Old 08-26-2009, 12:56 PM
Dr Donut
Veteran

Originally Posted by dakotas ram
hahns---its all about personal opinion

itll be hard to get then to exit on EACH side and i doubt most shops would do it
actually it's very easy lol

Old 08-26-2009, 02:10 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker

I am just going through this now in fact out here in So Cal. So far, I have never had or seen anyone look at my truck. We do smog every other year here and, since 2000, no one has looked under my truck at my CAT.

All they have done is place a probe in the pipe and watch the machine. But, since my truck has been stock- they don't check.

I just got off the phone with the guy who does my inspections and he tells me that they will check if they see any gross changes to the engine- such as headers. If the CAT is not located to OEM spec / location- they won't pass it and tell you to put the OEM stuff back on or, they report it through the machine that's tied into the DMV (depending on who you go to). Then the fine comes in the mail.

Changing out an intake or TB is easy but, exhaust components are not an easy change out in most cases.

Headers alone are illegal out here. Even though the gains are great with running them- they are illegal as is moving the CAT never mind taking it off. If the truck is very loud- the police pull you over and look at it out here and may tow it or if they are nice, give you a fine and a fix it ticket.

Last edited by cmckenna; 08-26-2009 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:57 PM
95MaroonMonster
Record Breaker

so technically, my truck is illegal due to the muffler (glasspack) and the 14x3 with standalone breather

Old 08-26-2009, 09:05 PM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by cmckenna
I am just going through this now in fact out here in So Cal. So far, I have never had or seen anyone look at my truck. We do smog every other year here and, since 2000, no one has looked under my truck at my CAT.

All they have done is place a probe in the pipe and watch the machine. But, since my truck has been stock- they don't check.

I just got off the phone with the guy who does my inspections and he tells me that they will check if they see any gross changes to the engine- such as headers. If the CAT is not located to OEM spec / location- they won't pass it and tell you to put the OEM stuff back on or, they report it through the machine that's tied into the DMV (depending on who you go to). Then the fine comes in the mail.

Changing out an intake or TB is easy but, exhaust components are not an easy change out in most cases.

Headers alone are illegal out here. Even though the gains are great with running them- they are illegal as is moving the CAT never mind taking it off. If the truck is very loud- the police pull you over and look at it out here and may tow it or if they are nice, give you a fine and a fix it ticket.
The problem in California is that the testing machines are so damn sensitive that if you took off or hollowed out your cat, the machine would know even if the human didn't catch it. With a hollowed out cat you can fool a human but the bump in the emissions would cause you to fail, specially since every year they keep finding ways to make emissions more stringent, it's a b1tch out here. Let's wait and see what they do now with Schwarzenegger's new global warming emissions bill that is supposed to go into effect very soon. That is going to blow chunks.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:40 AM
cmckenna
Record Breaker

Your out here too I take it. Yes, every year it's getting stricter. I am definitely not going with long tube headers- that much, I do know. I am going to go with a top end, tuned shorty set along with a Stock CAT. Still trying to choose an exhaust system.

If I had a welder- I would just swap all the stuff out back to OEM for inspections. Then I would take it off, put on longtubes and a CAT. I wouldn't run without it due to that one time that the police decide to perform a road side inspection. Too risky and, I have never had any problems with the law and don't need any. That's why I am planning on going with the above setup.

Quick Reply: weird theory