2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:22 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Detailing and Cleaning
Print Wikipost

Seat cushion swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 06:25 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Seat cushion swap

I want to swap the bottom cushion from my driver's side with the passenger side. I'm curious if this is possible or anyone has done it. I have leather seats with electric controls on both sides. Can I simply swap the cushions or would I have to swap the entire mechanism? My driver's side bottom cushion is a little flat from years of getting in and out and I'd like to put the barely used passenger cushion on that side. TIA

Old 08-25-2009, 06:46 PM
Eddielx
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did it on mine and I posted it on here about a week ago.Im not sure how it works for power seats

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...fix-maybe.html

Last edited by Eddielx; 08-25-2009 at 06:48 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:19 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are like me, you need to swap the foam only. That's the only way it will all line back up.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:55 PM
Miami_Son
Banned

Originally Posted by Laramie1997
You are like me, you need to swap the foam only. That's the only way it will all line back up.
Chris, I thought you had cloth interior. Do you have power seats? Have you done it or are you waiting for me to go first?

Old 08-25-2009, 07:58 PM
Miami_Son
Banned

Originally Posted by Eddielx
I did it on mine and I posted it on here about a week ago.Im not sure how it works for power seats

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...fix-maybe.html
Looks like you took the whole seat out. Were you able to swap just the cushions once you had the seats out?

Old 08-25-2009, 08:14 PM
speeddemon31176
All Star

Miami, There are plastic clips that hold your upholstery onto the seat frame. You can remove the clips and take the upholstery off of the foam cushion and either buy a new foam cushion or swap with the passenger side and then reinstall the upholstery. I did it on one of my trucks that one of my guys tore the upholstery with a screwdriver in his back pocket. It is really not that expensive to get a new seat foam replacement. IIRC it was like 50 bucks for the foam and 125 for the seat portion of the upholstery. It would probably be cheaper in the long run with all of the effort involved in tearing apart two seats to just buy the new cushion.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:40 PM
Miami_Son
Banned

Looking at the FSM it appears the bottom cushion comes off as a single unit, but you have to remove the entire seat to get it out. If the left and right sides are interchangeable I'm going to look for a good right side cushion from a junkyard to replace my left one. The leather interior is a little harder to find so if any of you kind souls happen to come across one in your travels, let me know. I'll pay you a little something to pull it and ship it to me.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:47 PM
speeddemon31176
All Star

I did one of my trucks and the outer material definitely comes off of the foam. there is a long plastic clip in the back and one in the front that is long as well. It takes a bit of effort and looking to spot it. Just follow the material to the back where it wraps under the seat and you will see it. It is the same in the front. the material basically turns itself inside out when you remove it but that is a good thing as it makes reinstallation much easier. the only thing I can think of as to why yours isn't that way is the leather upholstery. You never know with the way they keep changing things.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:49 PM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker

First you should check and see if the foam has deteriorated from the top or the bottom. Sometimes what happens is the wires below the foam cut into the foam and thus it gets lower. Look under the seat and see if the wires are buried into the foam. In that case someone else here already did a quick repair with some carpet pad and he just slipped it in between the foam and the wires and solved his sagging seat problem. Much easier than disassembling two seats.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:19 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
Chris, I thought you had cloth interior. Do you have power seats? Have you done it or are you waiting for me to go first?
I have leather.
I have power seats.
I have swapped them.

Quick Reply: Seat cushion swap