2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46RE Issues, advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 11:36 PM
gottarottie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 46RE Issues, advice needed

The tranny in question is actually in my jeep 5.9, but no one at the jeep forums EVER answers questions, at least the guys here are willing to help! That and my motor and trans are the same. Anyways.

The dealership says the transmission needs a new oil pump, they want close to $3k to do it. I am thinking of just buying a rebuilt to put back in. I am sceptical that the oil pump is gone, the dealership did the output shaft seal, i then drove the jeep on a good road trip (1,000km+). Could they have, not alligned things correctly after the shaft seal install?

Is there a way i can diagnose this from home? If all i have to do it re-align the trans that would be magic

Any takers?
GR

Old 08-25-2009, 11:44 PM
speeddemon31176
All Star

The only thing they really could have done replacing the front seal is not install the new seal correctly. The only thing that would come of that would be a leak like the ocean. Why do they think it needs a new pump? Did they give a reason or are they just hoping you won't ask questions and they get to milk you for three large? You could buy a well built tranny for that kind of scratch. Jesus the pump is only about 200.00 so are they saying it is 2800.00 in labor to pull the trans and install a new pump? I want what they make an hour jesus. Give us more info on what kind of problem you are actually having and we can go from there. There is an actual transmission mechanic that is on here by the name of Montec if he ever gets a chance to get away from work to help out. He is extremely knowlegeable and would probably offer the best advice but the rest of us aren't to shabby either.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:04 AM
gottarottie

Yeah pretty much all labor, as far as i can tell from the paperwork. I told him for that price it better be rebuilt. It makes a kind of rattly grinding kind of noise when it's put into gear (almost like a geary/noisey PCV sound) . It drives, kinda slippy, but i don't dare move it any more than i have to until it's fixed.
They did a "free" diagnostic on it since they were the last to tuch it, before it died. They came to the conclusion the oil pump is gone. They actually told me the rear pump is gone... They also said it's a rare tranny.. yeah ok bud, 46re just the same as your dodge trucks.

I am kind of thinking the rebuilt route, i found a few perfomance ones forsale. I am just pulling at straws really, trying to avoid the big hit. Sounds like i might just have to bite the bullet.

Thanks for the reply.
GR

Last edited by gottarottie; 08-26-2009 at 12:06 AM.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:17 AM
speeddemon31176
All Star

I would be totally amazed if the rear pump was bad. The grindy noise you hear does it sound like a weird whine? If so It may just be you have a bad torque convertor. If I were you I would look into a performance transmission for the price you were quoted. You could purchase the trans and install it yourself for what they are charging. That of course depends on your mechanical skills. I would not go back to that trans shop as it soulds like they are trying to rape you blind. If your trans worked fine before they touched it they probably put something in it to do damage in the hopes that you would come back like you did so they could rip you off. I would tell them that since it fell apart right after they worked on it that they can go ahead and put in a new trans on them or you will be looking into legal action to reclaim the cost of having it fixed by a reputable shop. You could also check into any complaints made against them and see if they have a history of this type of activity.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:56 AM
charlie1935
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't believe there is even a rear pump in the tranny.
When automatics had rear pumps you could push start them, just had to push them faster than you did a standard tranny car.

Old 08-26-2009, 01:35 AM
speeddemon31176
All Star

Originally Posted by charlie1935
I don't believe there is even a rear pump in the tranny.
When automatics had rear pumps you could push start them, just had to push them faster than you did a standard tranny car.

I didn't even realize he said rear pump. Wow they really are dirtbags. You are 100% correct. There is no pump in the rear of the tranny. Just drums and clutches, sprag assembly, output shaft, a couple of bands, and of course the pump which is in the front of the tranny and driven by the torque convertor. Wow those guys should be shot by firing squad. If I were him I would go back to that place and have them show him a rear pump for that tranny and watch for that uh oh look on their faces.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:36 AM
palerider9999
Rookie

Another fine example of why the average consumer won't use a dealership for anything. The last time I used the dealer I was in the waiting area and they were trying to explain a $30.00 labor charge to replace 2 wiper blades during a safety inspection. The customer had them removed, walked to the Wal-mart and replaced them himself. I personally do all of my own repairs if I can.

Sounds like there is a tranny issue but the money would be better spent getting a used unit since the Jeep is older. Unless you plan on keeping it for a long time. I just rebuilt my 1998 ram's 360 and should have just went with a junk yard unit. Could have saved a bundle.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:04 PM
gottarottie

Well the plan is to keep it a long time, the 98 grand cherokee 5.9 is a sought after jeep, they only made it that year, only 14,000 of them made world wide. It still beats many modern cars and trucks, you tube jeep 5.9 and watch it smoke car after car. I bought this from my mother after it died on her. Her plan was to send it to a wrecker, he was all excited about it, that's when i stepped in. This jeep will be a classic one day.. SOO. I plan on putting about every bolt on i can on it, vortec super charger and everything, fully restore it all in time. First thing's first though, it has to drive on the road.

Since i was planning on the motor upgrades anyway, i am leaning towards a perfomace rebuilt.

I've done alot of work to my 99 dodge ram, so i am familiar with the magnum engine. Honestly the swap doesn't scare me, i am not a mechanic though, which is why i need help from you guys I can get it done, once i find what i want.

Last edited by gottarottie; 08-26-2009 at 07:06 PM.

Quick Reply: 46RE Issues, advice needed