2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Synthetic Oils

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 08:46 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you want to be approved or not?

Old 08-30-2009, 08:46 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
Ooh, they talk to each other in code. Isn't that cute.
I bet you like my new sig, too.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:48 PM
Miami_Son
Banned

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
I bet you like my new sig, too.
Just because you're a minor doesn't mean I can't take out a hit on you. Heck, there's probably a half a dozen people in here that would chip in for it.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:48 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you want to be approved or not?
Nah, I'm my own person, I don't need to fit into any group.

You are just a little sore because DF people don't talk to ya that way.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:50 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
Not a damn thing. They used to be a Frap (Orange Can-o-death) but are now Purolators. Use with confidence!
How do you know they are still Purolator? How do you know they didn't change again?

How do you know you are using a Purolator batch, and not some other?

Thats my point. You don't know for sure. If its the actual brand name, you can know for 99.9% certainty. If its a brand that changes its manufacturer every so often, you don't know for sure.

Mobil 1 filters are a little over-priced, and K&Ns are the same thing. Napa Gold and WIX filters are excellent filters for the $6 that I pay for them. But regular Napa filters are also good filters (For the price). For $2 I get a Napa ProSelect that has metal end caps, a good paper filter media, and a sturdy can.
The lower end NAPAs are lower-quality WIX filters. Better than FRAM, but I'd still go for the NAPA Gold (good quality WIX) or a WIX brand filter.

Purolators are also great filters. The $3 Classic/Premium Plus and the $6 Pure ONE filters are some of the best as filtering, but restrict a little on flow. Thats why I use the NAPA. Fram makes ****ty filters. You can get a much better filter for the money. That said, there are trucks on the road that have over 300,000 miles running Rotella and a Fram. But you get less for your money with a Fram.
FRAMs have also been know to cause major issues. Do they do it every time, or anywhere near? Of course not. But why risk it? Its a handful of bills more for a better filter.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:56 PM
Miami_Son
Banned

Originally Posted by Laramie1997
Nah, I'm my own person, I don't need to fit into any group.

You are just a little sore because DF people don't talk to ya that way.
Viper does.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:00 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pfft, well good for you two. Ya'll going up to Canada to get hitched?

Old 08-30-2009, 09:07 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

Originally Posted by jasonw
How do you know they are still Purolator? How do you know they didn't change again?

How do you know you are using a Purolator batch, and not some other?

Thats my point. You don't know for sure. If its the actual brand name, you can know for 99.9% certainty. If its a brand that changes its manufacturer every so often, you don't know for sure.
I know because I can tell the difference between a Fram can and backplate and a Purolator can and backplate.

FRAMs have also been know to cause major issues. Do they do it every time, or anywhere near? Of course not. But why risk it? Its a handful of bills more for a better filter.
I'm not going to fight with you on this, because Frams are horrible filters. But like I said, there may be problems with Fraps, but Laramie once said that he had a WIX split on him one time. My dads boss has a 2004 Chevy 2500HD with the 6.0 LQ8 V8 in it with 200,000 miles. It has been beat all to hell and still runs good with a bit of power to spare (But it pings like a ****!!!). All he has ever used since day one is Pennzoil 10W-30 and Fram Ph-16 filters. Not saying that Fram is good, but some people dont know better. We will pay more for a filter because we do know better. Some people want the cheapest and get adequate filtration.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:09 PM
pavement_hater
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been using Mobil Delvac 1 in my 318 for almost 2 years now. Heavy duty diesel engine synthetic. It works just fine. I'm actually an Amsoil guy but been getting the Delvac 1 at a good price at work.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:11 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

Just because you're a minor doesn't mean I can't take out a hit on you. Heck, there's probably a half a dozen people in here that would chip in for it.
Take a hit... That cast must slow you down.

Quick Reply: Synthetic Oils