2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Synthetic Oils

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 07:24 PM
lutner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synthetic Oils

Wondering who can help?

Purchased a 1996 Dodge Ram Diesel a month ago, the previous owner has changed the oil every 5000 kms adamently with Amsoil Synthetic. My question(s) are.

Would I have to stay with the Amsoil product or would any synthetic suffice(Don't want to change the synthetic to regular oil)?

As well as, using a synthetic oil does this 12 valve diesel really need to be changed every 5000 kms? Isn't it safe to go triple at least double that using synthetic oil?

Thanks all, please respond if you can help,

Bill

Old 08-27-2009, 07:57 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to the forums!

5000 km is roughly just over 3100 miles, so unless he was using it for heavy duty towing a lot, he wasn't using the oil for its full potential (I agree with you).

Some here have gone 12000 miles before on an oil change or more on synthetics. I say why save a few dollars here and there and risk a multi-thousand dollar vehicle? I change mine ever 5000 miles to 6000 miles, depending on winter/summer and if its all been in town or a mix of highway and in town. Town driving is harder on it than highway.

Also, you didn't list what filter you use, I use Wix for my gas V8. Excellent filter, decent price. Mobil1 filters are also good, as are Napa Gold (not regular Napa filters), Purolater, and K&N. Stay away from FRAM and Mopar.

I'd also ask this in the diesel section of the forum, see what they say.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:01 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

More important than the brand is the weight. Make sure you use the proper viscosity for the type of driving you do and the season. All synthetics are made to be mixed with other oils, including dino oils. Switching brands is not a concern.

Jason, what's wrong with the Mopar filters? That's all that's ever been used on my truck since it was new.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:12 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks Miami, I had forgotten about weights. I have no idea what weight you would use for a diesel, but it will give you a recommendation in the owner's manual.

Mopar doesn't make their own filters. Sometimes its FRAM, sometimes its Wix, sometimes its XYZ no-name company. Thats why I don't recommend them, you don't know who you're getting, and they are just marking up an existing, cheaper filter, and making you pay for the Mopar logo/brand.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:20 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Jason, what's wrong with the Mopar filters? That's all that's ever been used on my truck since it was new
Not a damn thing. They used to be a Frap (Orange Can-o-death) but are now Purolators. Use with confidence!

Also, you didn't list what filter you use, I use Wix for my gas V8. Excellent filter, decent price. Mobil1 filters are also good, as are Napa Gold (not regular Napa filters), Purolater, and K&N. Stay away from FRAM and Mopar.
Mobil 1 filters are a little over-priced, and K&Ns are the same thing. Napa Gold and WIX filters are excellent filters for the $6 that I pay for them. But regular Napa filters are also good filters (For the price). For $2 I get a Napa ProSelect that has metal end caps, a good paper filter media, and a sturdy can. Purolators are also great filters. The $3 Classic/Premium Plus and the $6 Pure ONE filters are some of the best as filtering, but restrict a little on flow. Thats why I use the NAPA. Fram makes ****ty filters. You can get a much better filter for the money. That said, there are trucks on the road that have over 300,000 miles running Rotella and a Fram. But you get less for your money with a Fram.

Old 08-28-2009, 03:11 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry, but for a diesel, all you should ever run is Rotella. It's about the best oil out there for and it was designed to run in diesels. It's not that pricey either. We have been using it for over 5 years now, and the 2004 6.0 PS Ford we use it in, routinely sees well over eight thousand miles between changes. Last year when the head gasket blew, we went ahead and stripped the whole block down anticipating a huge sludge mess. It was practically spotless. Just something to keep in mind. I even run the 15W-40 weight in my 5.2 (gas) all the time. Never had an issue out of it. Do what you want, but in that diesel, you need at least a 15W-40.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:27 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

my walmart sells mopar filters so i only pay about 5$ for them. the wierd thing about it is they only have the m090 filters from mopar.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:15 AM
lutner

Thanks everyone! That helps alot.

The previous owner has been using 15w40 but you guys agree that as long as its synthetic, I shouldn't have to worry about what type of synthetic and a good filter.

I'm not towing anything(right now) pretty much to and from work in town.

Bill

Old 08-28-2009, 11:08 AM
audiomechanic
Captain

Originally Posted by Laramie1997
Sorry, but for a diesel, all you should ever run is Rotella. It's about the best oil out there for and it was designed to run in diesels. It's not that pricey either. We have been using it for over 5 years now, and the 2004 6.0 PS Ford we use it in, routinely sees well over eight thousand miles between changes. Last year when the head gasket blew, we went ahead and stripped the whole block down anticipating a huge sludge mess. It was practically spotless. Just something to keep in mind. I even run the 15W-40 weight in my 5.2 (gas) all the time. Never had an issue out of it. Do what you want, but in that diesel, you need at least a 15W-40.
Agreed on the Rotella. I used to run Rotella Synthetic (you can pick it up at Walmart in gallon jugs) in my '97 Powerstroke and had no issue. Actually picked up about 1-2 MPG when I switched to the synthetic from the regular Rotella. Either one is great diesel oil.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:50 AM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep in mind that because of the superior lubricating properties of synthetics, the viscosity ratings between them and dino oils is not the same. For instance, where you'd use a 10W40 in a dino oil, a 5W30 synthetic would suffice.

Quick Reply: Synthetic Oils