2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What is the best sounding exhaust on a 5.9?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 07:50 PM
zje400ex
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What is the best sounding exhaust on a 5.9?

I've done some searching on here and youtube for a good exhaust for a dodge ram with the 5.9 but just wanted to know what some of you guys have to say.

My stock muffler has rusted out so it's time for a new system. I've seen a kit on ebay for a decent price that includes a flowmaster 40 series muffler with tips. I've also called around and monro has a special going for 30% off an exhaust. They carry a "XLERATOR" muffler from which i've heard is the same as a magnaflow. They want $300 for that muffler and dual outlets which would be $210 after the coupon.

I want something with a deep rumble outside, but something quiet inside the cab. What do you guys recommend for my dodge?

Old 09-01-2009, 08:44 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aero Turbine. Sounds amazing, much better than the flowmaster I had before or the magnaflows I've heard. While accelerating it's pretty vocal and pretty loud at WOT but cruising it mellows out and isn't intrusive (long road trips aren't a problem for me), also consider mines a side exit. A rear exit will be quieter and you can get them in the "XL" series which has a built in resonator to mellow it out a bit more. It's also full stainless with a lifetime warranty.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:12 PM
2damnyankee
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a punched out cat w/a flowmaster side exit all 3 in pipe for the from the cat back. mellow at idle and cruising speeds but at WOT people know you are coming up on them.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:18 PM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker

I too have an AeroTurbine AT3030. Mine is dumped right before the rear axle. Has a unique sound that you'll be proud of. It's a straight through design, so there's really no restriction, aiding in gas mileage and power. Mine has set off car alarms at idle, has a mean roar when accelerating, and, honestly is slightly loud at about 70 mph. Im used to it now, but it was a little uncomfortable at first, but that's because I upgraded from a Flowmaster Force II (way too damn quiet) to this. I would look up some videos on YouTube of this muffler. Won't regret it!

Old 09-01-2009, 11:24 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I've listened to the AeroTurbine, and its not to my liking (but it is loud). When my Flowmaster Super 44 is rusted, I think I'll try a Magnaflow myself.

That being said, its 75% or more personal preference. All the personal opinions in the world are nothing compared to your personal preference when it comes to exhaust.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:37 PM
Scottmilkeway
Rookie

a basic thrush muffler sounds really good, you can really hear the truck breath when you punch it, i know mine sounds amazing haha

Old 09-01-2009, 11:38 PM
Scottmilkeway
Rookie

its also rather quiet too, like it has practically no crackle when comming down from a rev

Old 09-02-2009, 01:14 AM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm partial to Flowmaster

Old 09-02-2009, 01:17 AM
wayfast1500
Professional

I have a gibson on mine, I wish it was louder.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:23 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i had a flowmaster on mine when i got it and it was too quiet. i put two glass packs in place of it (2 because i had a single in dual out and i wanted the tailpipes to stay where they were at). the glass packs sounded like what you want. then one day the clamp let go in front of them and it sounded nice and deep like i wanted so i cut off the glass packs and straight piped it. you can hear mine humming on the highway but that's the way i like it, i don't understand how so many people have a problem with hearing the exhaust for an extended period of time.

Quick Reply: What is the best sounding exhaust on a 5.9?