2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hub/Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009 | 11:34 PM
atc250r
|
Veteran
Default Hub/Bearing

My '97 1500 needs a right front axle seal as well as the right axle U-Joint. I'll be doing them both in the next couple weeks. Just wondering if it would be in my best interest to also replace the right bearing/hub assembly at the same time. The truck has 180,000 miles and the right hub was replaced once and now has about 87,000 miles on it. What do you figure? Do all 3 things since I'm there anyway?

Old 09-02-2009 | 02:57 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

if the bearing is good then leave it be. those things are 180$. check it by grabbing the wheel at 12 and 6 and pushing/pulling on the top and bottom. if there is any movement then it is bad. if there is any movement then you should check the ball joints before replacing the hub because they will allow the tire to move like a bad bearing would. after you pull the hub off spin the bearing to feel for it being too loose or tight and listen for any noise that would indicate that it was bad.

when you reassemble everything put antiseize on the contact points between the hub and knuckle and on the stub shaft splines and threads.

Old 09-02-2009 | 08:04 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Sheriff hit the nail on the head.

To me, there is no sense in replacing a $200 bearing just because "I'm in there already" when its not even bad. That thing may last longer than the new one you replace it with. And its not really that big of a project to do later, just an hour or so if it goes well.

Now, I am all for preventative maintenance and such. For example, why I had my motor apart I was replacing stuff that wasn't broke (water pump, timing chain/gears, thermostat etc.), but that stuff was relatively cheap, and I hate doing motor work. But a bearing in good working condition with less than 100k miles, I vote leave it unless its wobbly.

Old 09-02-2009 | 10:33 AM
sungod
Veteran

I don't know if I would replace it, but I would coat it heavily with anti seize so that it wouldn't be as difficult to get off if you do really need to replace it later. You are not going to gain anything by replacing it now. It isn't difficult to replace if everything comes off easy.

Old 09-02-2009 | 10:46 PM
atc250r
|
Veteran

Thanks for the advice, guys. If it has no play, and sounds/feels good, I'll leave it be.

Quick Reply: Hub/Bearing