2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Crank Pulley/ Harmonic Balancer

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 07:31 AM
punkrguy
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank Pulley/ Harmonic Balancer

Hey guys been awhile since I've been on here but I have an issue. Driving home last night, I went to pass a car and I threw the belt. So I pull over and re-install the belt and try starting it. Starts and the engine is jumping all over the place, I look down and the harmonic balancer is woobling all over the place. Throw it on the car trailer and take it home. I take the belt back off along with the fan and radiator shroud. I then grab ahold of the crank pulley and I can move the thing side to side probably a good 3/4" to 1" with out a problem. It was dark by that time so I left it at that. From what I know that pulley and balancer shouldnt move at all correct? I'm dropping the oil pan tonight, but does that movement in the pulley, point to a cracked cam? Thanks for any input guys

Old 09-02-2009, 08:50 AM
charlie1935
Record Breaker

Not the camshaft.
Most likely the harmonic balancer.
The worst is crankshaft.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:08 AM
punkrguy
Professional

Sorry i missed typed, thats what i meant was crank shaft. I havent pulled the pulley and balancer yet, is there possibly a bearing in there that is shot?

Old 09-02-2009, 11:48 AM
charlie1935
Record Breaker

No bearing other that front main bearing for crank.
Dampener bolts to crank.
You couldn't move it around even with no front main bearing insert unless crank or dampener/balancer is broken.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:01 PM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have you tried tightening it?

Old 09-02-2009, 12:18 PM
Dr Donut
Veteran

sounds like crank to me though for your sake I hope its not sry to hear about your luck

Old 09-02-2009, 01:28 PM
punkrguy
Professional

I tried tightening it before I took the nut off last night and no luck. I was still able to move it around.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:03 PM
palerider9999
Rookie

The drive pulley bolts to the crank dampner with I think 6 bolts. Then the entire assembly sldes into the crankshaft and secured with one large bolt in the center of the dampner and into the center of the crankshaft. The crank has a key way and dampner has a groove for the key. They need to be aligned when assembling. I wouldn't mess with it too much if it's actually the entire assembly that came loose unless you have someone present with more experience. If the crankshaft is salvageable you don't want to ruin by not knowing what you are doing. It takes a special puller to get the dampner off and to put it back on. I just replaced mine last week after it was pulled off with the wrong tool during rebuilding the motor.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:30 PM
punkrguy
Professional

Thanks for the info. I do have a puller for the balancer. I'm in over my head if the crank is snapped......I'm hoping for the best here but I dont think its going to be good.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:55 AM
punkrguy
Professional

Update.
Snapped crank for sure. Anyone have a 360 engine there trying to sell!??!!? I'm gonna throw it up on craigslist and see if i can get 2k for it. What do you guys think?

Quick Reply: Crank Pulley/ Harmonic Balancer