2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ABS light and BRAKE lights on FIXED 1996 Ram 1500

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 08:40 PM
NewLexRam
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS light and BRAKE lights on FIXED 1996 Ram 1500

My 1996 Ram 1500 had the ABS and BRAKE lights on constantly and I was not sure what was wrong. I found a prior post in this forum but the messenger spelled the word brake as break and it was hard to find so I thought I'd post my version for any of you who have the same problem.

My Ram only has ABS on the rear and it uses an ABS wheel speed sensor that it mounted on top of the differential found on the rear axle. I found that a lot of people have had problems with this going bad and needing replaced. The post advised that you could get one of these from a Dodge dealership for about $30. However the two shops near me wanted between $73-88! (just for the part) It is somewhat small, it is bolted to the top of the rear differential and has a wire connected to it leading toward the front of the truck.

I found these on a website called www.rockauto.com for $27.95. My shipping was $8 to Ohio but it came in two days FED-X! I also ordered a Haynes repair manual from them for $13.05 while I was at it. The part is made by Wagner, the same company who produces many auto electrical parts including headlights.

I had unbolted the existing sensor, disconnected the wiring and rotated it back and forth as if unscrewing and screwing it as I pulled on it. At first it felt as if it were connected to something inside but it was not. It appears to be nothing more than a coil of very thin wire around a transformer of sort. I knew this because mine had part of the plastic busted off of it exposing the now broken wire.

I used dielectric grease to seal the rubber o-ring around the body of the new one as well as in the connector for the wire. I installed the new sensor and connected the wire and started the truck. The ABS light went off immediately and the brakes feel much better. I have also read that if the ABS stills stays on after installing the new one then you should consider removing the negative lead from your battery, turning your ignition key forward, and then reconnecting the battery. This will supposedly reset the ABS module if needed. I didn't have to do this so I have no idea if it really works or not.

I strongly recommend trying this if your lights are constantly on like mine were. Good luck!

My brakes worked but they also locked up when I slammed on the brakes to check it.

Old 03-30-2005, 02:30 PM
jventerprises
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ABS light and BRAKE lights on FIXED 1996 Ram 1500

i had the same symptoms on my 2000 2500. it turned out to be a short in the brake switch! the brakes worked just fine and there was nothing wrong with the ABS. the CEL would come on around 30MPH and then stay on.....

Quick Reply: ABS light and BRAKE lights on FIXED 1996 Ram 1500