2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

BEWARE Cardomain is virused up!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 10:48 PM
FredTJ
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Laramie1997
Alright, I have screen shots showing what I get when I go there. Running FF on Kaspersky

FF suddenly closed out and this was brought up.

Then it brought this up.

FF freaks out anytime I open cardomain.

At this point, I just ended the FF process.

Why did you click the "OK" button or do anything other then end the dialog box ?

Never, never accept anything like that from a website.

Fred

Old 09-07-2009, 10:52 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FredTJ
Why did you click the "OK" button or do anything other then end the dialog box ?

Never, never accept anything like that from a website.

Fred
You join the site just to hound me on that, huh? That's a wise move.

Look, I never said I clicked on it. Never even implied that. That little screen pops up for about 10 seconds and then launches your web browser trying to trick you into thinking that it has completed a virus scan.

Not the first time I've had that pop up, so I nailed some screen shots real quick.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:52 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Another good anti-spyware program is malwarebytes anti-malware. I recommend to use that as well.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:57 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

where does one get these good programs

Old 09-07-2009, 11:59 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jinx, this is Malware bytes that Jason was talking about.

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com...mbam-setup.exe

I know that looks suspicious, but it's safe.

EDIT: Installed the program, ran it, and it did find a nice little Hijack.DisplayProperties Registry file. Removed it, and so far so good.....

Last edited by Laramie1997; 09-08-2009 at 01:49 AM.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:07 PM
lb79theone
Record Breaker
Location: Maine! ( GET A HOLD OF ME IF YOU WANT TO GET ME ON FACEBOOK.COM, AND CARDOMAIN.COM)

It depends on what protection you got on your computer.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:15 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Kaspersky is the best, tied with Bitdefender. But even that does not catch everything.

The best combination of AV and AS programs is Kaspersky or Bitdefender and several of the free anti-spyware programs to compliment it. Webroot Antivirus isn't bad either.

Avira is the best of the freebies, but free isn't the best. Look at any independent lab results, detection rates are highest with the paid AV programs.

In this case, it isn't a virus if your screen looks exactly like what Laramie posted up. It is a registry modification, made by spyware/virus/malicious website in the past. Given the fact that Laramie has had Kaspersky since he got his laptop back from service, I highly doubt they were caused by a virus/spyware. Kaspersky would have caught them the moment it tried to change something, not after.

Most likely a program you loaded (gave permission to install, which it can then change any registry thing it wants) or a website made the modification at some point, maybe something attached to Cardomain, maybe not.

Last edited by jasonw; 09-08-2009 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:35 PM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by jasonw
Kaspersky is the best, tied with Bitdefender. But even that does not catch everything.

The best combination of AV and AS programs is Kaspersky or Bitdefender and several of the free anti-spyware programs to compliment it. Webroot Antivirus isn't bad either.

Avira is the best of the freebies, but free isn't the best. Look at any independent lab results, detection rates are highest with the paid AV programs.

In this case, it isn't a virus if your screen looks exactly like what Laramie posted up. It is a registry modification, made by spyware/virus/malicious website in the past. Given the fact that Laramie has had Kaspersky since he got his laptop back from service, I highly doubt they were caused by a virus/spyware. Kaspersky would have caught them the moment it tried to change something, not after.

Most likely a program you loaded (gave permission to install, which it can then change any registry thing it wants) or a website made the modification at some point, maybe something attached to Cardomain, maybe not.
Exactly, what hes got is a reg change, but that change allows malware and viruses to enter with that gay pop up.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:48 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

my mom's computer had this problem and the fix was very simple. system restore in safemode.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:07 AM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Some of you guys crack me up. Your all like its ok don't worry about it. I have so many damn computer issues its not even funny. I just got my desktop working again it was down for probably a year or more. My first laptop started crashing so much i said screw it and bought another one. I'm not taking the chance. Now I will DL music and **** on this one (desktop) cause its old but If i know a site is a little weird I'm gonna try and stay off. Well except for the **** you gotta have that LOL

Quick Reply: BEWARE Cardomain is virused up!