2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

The Ole Dode Ate The Ford

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 06:27 PM
DODGEPWR
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
Dude, now you're really being an ***. If the pics are of your Dodge, post them up. But if they're of your Caddy, don't bother. Pretty simple premise to understand, I think.
Haha just jokin around man, im in a better mood today. Kinda had an off- day yesterday if you know what i mean.... Kinda one of those days where everything goes wrong.

Back to topic

Old 09-07-2009, 07:13 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No worries. If you notice, we're a pretty rude bunch in here, but it's almost always in fun. Put on your asbestos long johns, pull up a chair, and jump right in. Just be on topic!

Old 09-07-2009, 07:38 PM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker

As for the insurance, they will most likely total it. On such an old vehicle that is normal practice. Try to get as much as you can, but keep in mind that whatever the insurance underpays, you can always sue the other side for. In other words if your truck is in mint condition but the insurance gives you low blue book, (they always under pay unless you raise hell) you can go after the other party to make up the difference between low blue book and perfect condition blue book. It will be up to you if you want to put the money into fixing her, or just letting her go to junk. Cars are expensive these days and what little the insurance gives you wont buy you much. If your truck is a good one, I would say fix her and keep her.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:20 AM
95 Jamin Ram
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still runs perfect but i would have a hard time letting it go i was 6 years old when my dad bought that truck. But when i really think about it i have no need for a truck i don't haul anything around in the bed.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:01 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion

^ I hate to sound soft, but damn. I wouldn't turn loose of it. I was seven when my Grandad bought the 1997 Ram that I have now. We lost him in 03 to asbestos related cancer. When I turned 16, my Grandmother pulled me aside, and gave me a choice. She told me that I could take the Ram, or she and I would go down the GM dealer and get a new 1/2 ton. I almost took her new truck idea, until my Stepdad and I talked over it. I was torn over the sentimental value versus the age and miles. I didn't know a damn bit of difference between GM, Ford, or Chrysler at the time. I finally decided that the memories of riding in the truck, being the first truck I ever drove, and many other things, out weighed the gamble of mechanical issues. It is for that reason that I have the ram, and also why when I buy a new truck that the 1997 will be thrown into storage. I wont turn loose of this ram. I don't care if the diffs, tranny, and motor all puke at the same time. I just don't. It means more to me in the long run to lay her down for 15 or so years and then do a full and complete restore.

Yes, it's just a damned old truck, but what does it mean to you personally?

Old 09-08-2009, 02:17 AM
Miami_Son
Banned

Chris, that is a hell of a story. I wasn't lucky enough to have met any of my grandparents. On my mom's side, they died before I was born of things people don't really die from these days. On my dad's side, my grandfather died before I was born and my grandmother died in Cuba when I was 9 and growing up in Miami. Never met her, but I spoke to her on the phone a couple times. If I had some kind of connection like you do to any of them, I would cherish it forever. Good for you for putting that bond first.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:32 AM
Oren09
Veteran

Very nice story, Laramie.
My truck comes with no family memories (bought it at a dealer back in May), but I am already in love with it (you know, that Ram love/hate thing ). It's my first vehicle that's all mine- paid for and in my name and everything. I will keep this thing running for as long as I can afford to, then I think I'll do like you and let it sit for a couple of decades until it's a classic

As for the OP, if the rest of the truck is in good condition, cosmetically and mechanically, I'd fix it and keep it. As long as the drivetrain is solid, your truck will run well for many years to come.

Old 09-08-2009, 04:01 PM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Laramie1997
^ I hate to sound soft, but damn. I wouldn't turn loose of it. I was seven when my Grandad bought the 1997 Ram that I have now. We lost him in 03 to asbestos related cancer. When I turned 16, my Grandmother pulled me aside, and gave me a choice. She told me that I could take the Ram, or she and I would go down the GM dealer and get a new 1/2 ton. I almost took her new truck idea, until my Stepdad and I talked over it. I was torn over the sentimental value versus the age and miles. I didn't know a damn bit of difference between GM, Ford, or Chrysler at the time. I finally decided that the memories of riding in the truck, being the first truck I ever drove, and many other things, out weighed the gamble of mechanical issues. It is for that reason that I have the ram, and also why when I buy a new truck that the 1997 will be thrown into storage. I wont turn loose of this ram. I don't care if the diffs, tranny, and motor all puke at the same time. I just don't. It means more to me in the long run to lay her down for 15 or so years and then do a full and complete restore.

Yes, it's just a damned old truck, but what does it mean to you personally?
Damn it Chris, now my eyes are all watery, give me a freaking hanky!

Old 09-08-2009, 04:33 PM
95 Jamin Ram
Professional

If i got rid of this truck i would probably really miss it. In the 13 years of my dad owning never really had to replace a thing on it. I never really thought i would ever drive it lol. I remember my dad put those running boards on it so i could get in it when i was little i hate seeing it look like that

Old 09-08-2009, 04:48 PM
Ram_Me
Captain

Keep that truck. I know exactly what you guys are talking about. Probably the hardest thing I've had to do this year was let go of my old '96 (my mom bought it brand new in '95). I lost mine in an accident too, but one way worse than yours. Now I have this new Ram that was a lot like my old one, almost all I've been doing to it has been making it look like my old one. Now people give me a funny look when they see me changing interior parts that are only a different color. It's funny how attached we get to things, huh?

Quick Reply: The Ole Dode Ate The Ford