2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Powder Coat Intake?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 10:04 PM
Pingmister
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powder Coat Intake?

Searched all threads and DIY but haven't found anything which gives the pros/cons of powder coating the intake manifold. Also, can anyone give direction on how much to pay? If I do it, I'd like to have a ball park number. Thanks!

Old 09-07-2009, 10:13 PM
speeddemon31176
All Star

Fairly expensive to get it done. I can't give a ball park number as it depends on where you are located, how many shops around you provide such a service, and what each proprieter chooses to charge for his/her particular work. I can tell you that by powder coating the intake you will be defeating the idea of the aluminum intake in that it helps to dissipate heat from the engine. The thickness of the powder coating preventing heat dissipation far outweighs the benefits of keeping the color of the intake nice and neat. You could paint and clear coat the intake much much cheaper and it would be no where near as harmful to heat dissipation due to a much thinner mil thickness.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:43 AM
Pingmister

Thanks. I had doubts about getting it done and you provided a good reason to avoid the process. Think I'll stick to a good cleaning at a machine shop followed by a layer of clear coat.

Quick Reply: Powder Coat Intake?