2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

PLEASE help!! front diff problem!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 09:30 PM
mncmopars
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE help!! front diff problem!

need to change front diff bearings but can`t seem to get the carrier out! Pulled both axles but still seems like something is holding it. Found a site that says it`s a 3 piece but doesn`t mention hoe to pull carrier out. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Old 09-09-2009, 09:51 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

did you remove the intermediate short shaft on the passenger side ?

passenger side has 2 pieces, an inner and outer which meet at the CAD. remove the cad on the back side and slide the inner out a little ways.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:06 PM
mncmopars

hi! Thanks SO much for writin` back! Not quite sure how to get inner one out. Never did this before & buddy didnt show up so stuck with it apart! Scary thing is now, I got the pinion gear loose too. I see the inner & can push it some but I think it`s keeping it in?? Can I force it toward the passenger side? Not sure how it works. Thanks again!

Old 09-09-2009, 10:58 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What axle do you have? Some models require a case spreader to get the carrier out. Gear work really should be left to someone that knows what they're doing. It is not the kind of work for amateurs to be doing.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:33 AM
speeddemon31176
All Star

You have to take the CAD off in order to move the inner axle far enough over to remove the carrier. How did you end up with the pinion being loose? If you loosened the pinion nut which you could only do if you pulled the driveshaft, tighten it back up to spec and leave it alone. If you have the dana 44 then you shouldn't need a case spreader.

Quick Reply: PLEASE help!! front diff problem!