2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

remote start

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 09:40 PM
tomcat_m
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default remote start

I finally hook up the remote start but the problem is it starts for about 7 seconds and then shuts off then it will start again for 7 seconds and stops and so on
anybody have a clue what could be wrong......
thanks
Mike

Old 09-09-2009, 11:22 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Had the same issue with my Hornet and never figured out the problem so I ripped mine back out. Mine would work fine cold, but wouldnt remote start after the truck was warm and would display the same issue your having. There is a tach sense mode which you might have to look into but even that didn't work for me. Give us some more information about your truck and remote start you are working with.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:56 AM
speeddemon31176
All Star

What brand is the unit? If it is made by DEI which is the parent company of Viper, Hornet, etc.. then there is a green wire for tach sense. If you hook that up to your negative side of your coil and program the system for tach sense it will stop that problem. It sounds like it is in voltage sense mode and if it sees a certain voltage it will shut off the remote start. it has to be above 16 volts I believe so if you have a high output alternator it won't work in voltage sense mode. It is a safety mechanism.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:46 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by speeddemon31176
What brand is the unit? If it is made by DEI which is the parent company of Viper, Hornet, etc.. then there is a green wire for tach sense. If you hook that up to your negative side of your coil and program the system for tach sense it will stop that problem. It sounds like it is in voltage sense mode and if it sees a certain voltage it will shut off the remote start. it has to be above 16 volts I believe so if you have a high output alternator it won't work in voltage sense mode. It is a safety mechanism.
I don't know the specific's on the voltage sense, but I do know that the tach wire when hooked up to the coil wire, the input was out of the range. I found this out after calling tech support and they told me to tap into a non common injector wire. I did just that and programed it for tach mode. Problem then was... the starter kept cranking a long time. I had the cheap low end "remote start only" so I wasn't able to set the length of cranking etc. I ended up throwing it out. Anyway, bump for OP to give us info.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:37 AM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What brand?
Mine was doing that and I just had to reset the module. Then it worked fine. You could also have a misconnected wire. It is cranking but isn't getting the run signal to stop cranking and stay running. It's cranking and killing it.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:13 PM
tomcat_m
Rookie

I live in Canada the unit is called Autostart
just had to program the tach( i hook that up to the injector wire)
Works great
Thanks for the help

Old 09-13-2009, 05:00 AM
speeddemon31176
All Star

Glad to hear you got it working. I have that sub-brand of starters on my work van and my last vehicle and a brand new one in the box right now to go in the truck here shortly. I have had them installed for over a year with no problems so far. Anyway good luck with your new starter.

Quick Reply: remote start