2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

O2 Sensors location.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 03:00 PM
thebuckeyestate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 Sensors location.

HI I have a question about O2 Sensors location.I bought O2 Sensors from autozone 13100 and i replace the one located right on the CAT converter looking toward the engine.IS this the right location for a dodge ram 1500 with a 5.9.IT was quite hard to do because the female wire was over the tranny and i had to get my son to help me with it.Also theres another O2 sensor about a foot away from the CAT Cenverter looking toward the back.The wires on that one was ripped up from the way it looks the drive shaft was hitting it.IS any of this right.Can you help me please.

Old 09-12-2009, 04:32 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

No, the wires shouldn't be hitting anything. Yes, there should be two sensors: one in front of the cat and one behind. (Unless its a Cal. truck). The front one is the most important as it regulates air/fuel mixture. The back one is just there to ensure the front one is working.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:15 PM
thebuckeyestate

Thank you Ramman18for the reply. I got the first one on and the second one i have not got off because its rusted really bad.Also the wires to it were ripped off so i know why it was not working.The wires were by the drive shaft.They were not cut by looking at it.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:38 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if you're not getting a check engine light, and its running good, and mpg is where it should be (13-16), then i wouldn't bother changing the rear one. it does very little.

if you do want to change it, spray it with penetrating oil like PB blaster for a couple of days.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:03 AM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramman18
No, the wires shouldn't be hitting anything. Yes, there should be two sensors: one in front of the cat and one behind. (Unless its a Cal. truck). The front one is the most important as it regulates air/fuel mixture. The back one is just there to ensure the front one is working.
Cal trucks have 2 02 sensors as well. a pre and a post.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:57 PM
thebuckeyestate

Yea i was getting the check engine light.So i took it to autozone and they checked it.They said both sensors were bad.Yesterday i got under the truck and sprayed it with PBlaster and i hope that will help get it loose.The back sensor wires were cut.Just 2 of them.I dont know how that happened.I am going to change that one to,Thank you guys for your help.

Quick Reply: O2 Sensors location.