2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Should I replace my upper balljoints?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 10:10 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

my tie rod end boots were split all the way around and i used to pack the green lucas grease in them every couple months. then when i had to change my axle seals i went ahead and put some new energy suspension boots on them that i had in the truck for about a year.

revvinram, one thing you can do to grease the ball joints is buy a grease injection needle and stick it through the crack in the boot. the needle only cost about 1.50$ at any parts store.

Old 09-13-2009, 12:46 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by revvinram
dhvaughan,
Since they are greaseless balljoints (no zerk fitting) thats kind of difficult to do... I have had a friend of mine recommend spraying some white lithium grease in the busted boot, whats your take on it?

Thanks..
well, anything that sprayable is going to be a little thin. i'd just force in some thick grease. maybe use a mini grease gun with a stiff rod, hold it up to the torn spot and pump it in. try not to get too much dirt in, but don't fret over it if you do.

on some older vehicles that weren't worth investing too much time or money, and where the boot was completely split, i've seen people just wipe in a big handful of wheel bearing grease. grease is grease...

Old 09-13-2009, 04:19 PM
xray99
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd probably get new boots, slice it, pack with grease, then zip tie it.
JB Weld or some epoxy mix might work to seal up the crack, though I doubt if they bond very well with rubber.
Maybe one of those cheap tire patch kits is what you need.

I just changed my ball joints last Nov, the boots were so pathetically thin that I ripped them up a bit just installing them.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:50 PM
speeddemon31176
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can actually drill the ball joint carefully and tap them for zerk fittings. It is not the "right" way to fix your problem but in a pinch you can do it. Your biggest issue is whetherr or not you want to take the risk of having it get dry inside and pound itself into oblivion. You could also use the needle technique that Sheriff brought up which will help some in the meantime.

Quick Reply: Should I replace my upper balljoints?