2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

truck shuts off when put into ANY gear?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 06:10 PM
crommie19
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation truck shuts off when put into ANY gear?

The truck was driving perfectly fine, went to park and pulled in crooked. backed up and went to pull foreword to straighten out and the truck shut off. Now everytime the truck is put into ANY gear it shuts off. it will work in reverse shortly but will rev up to around 2000 rpms i believe when put into 1st, 2nd, 3rd or drive and then shut off.
and ideas would be greatly appreciated. we need this truck up and running as soon as possible as we have a ranch and need to haul more hay.

thank you very much.

it is a 2000 dodge ram turbo diesel 3500.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:41 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

edit - oh ****, i just saw it was a diesel. i don't know anything about diesel...

are you saying it revs up to 2000 rpm all by itself.
sounds like a faulty throttle position sensor TPS, on drivers side of throttle body.
or maybe fouled up thottle linkage...
do you have a check engine light ?
does the rpm surge up and down 1000-2000 ?
might be IAC, but i'd guess tps first. about $40 at any local parts store.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:00 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crommie19
The truck was driving perfectly fine, went to park and pulled in crooked. backed up and went to pull foreword to straighten out and the truck shut off. Now everytime the truck is put into ANY gear it shuts off. it will work in reverse shortly but will rev up to around 2000 rpms i believe when put into 1st, 2nd, 3rd or drive and then shut off.
and ideas would be greatly appreciated. we need this truck up and running as soon as possible as we have a ranch and need to haul more hay.

thank you very much.

it is a 2000 dodge ram turbo diesel 3500.
Check that trans fluid to make sure its not the torque converter starving for fluid.

Quick Reply: truck shuts off when put into ANY gear?