2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

wants to lift truck

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 05:48 PM
devilkin4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wants to lift truck

noob here and i wanna lift my 97 1500 2wd ti match my lifted 97 4x4

i know that the front 4x4 shocks are taller than the 2wd im thinking that might add alittle the 4x4 shock compressed out of the box is 1-1.5 longer than the 2wd so in theory if i put it in it should raises it sum. 2nd thing does anyone know if a 4x4 front springs is bigger than a 2wd and same sz as a 2wd? ive ordered them at work but they wont arrive till tuesday. and i read something about a 97 dodge 2500 v10 front springs be bigger? anyone know if i could cram them in it? any help would be great.

i know i can use lift spacers and a body lift kit.

im trying to go the cheap route

Old 09-12-2009, 09:11 PM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your shocks will not raise your truck......dont remember about springs but some will raise it....why not just get a cheap body lift from summit?

Old 09-12-2009, 09:20 PM
97black_ram
Captain

Originally Posted by devilkin4
i know that the front 4x4 shocks are taller than the 2wd im thinking that might add alittle the 4x4 shock compressed out of the box is 1-1.5 longer than the 2wd so in theory if i put it in it should raises it sum.
Nope. Shocks wont do anything for raising the truck.
Originally Posted by devilkin4
2nd thing does anyone know if a 4x4 front springs is bigger than a 2wd and same sz as a 2wd? ive ordered them at work but they wont arrive till tuesday. and i read something about a 97 dodge 2500 v10 front springs be bigger? anyone know if i could cram them in it? any help would be great.
Yep. IIRC the 2wd is an A-Frame design and the coils are smaller than the 4x4. In the past when I had a 2wd ram I put a set of heavy duty (3/4 ton) coils in the front and gained 2" of lift.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:49 PM
devilkin4

im just trying to go the cheapiest route possible for now , kinda broke i get the shocks and springs at cost from my work but i didnt think about summint ill have to call them we have a wholesale account set up with them so far ive spent 66.05 for front and rear monroe sensatracs thru work ill look up springs tommorow and ill probly order a few sets in and compare them

Old 09-13-2009, 02:39 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they say that the 2500 coils will make the ride very bad...heres some alternatives

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-5-L...Q5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1994-...Q5fAccessories

Old 09-13-2009, 04:45 AM
speeddemon31176
All Star

If you plan to lift your 2 wheel drive truck, you should purchase an appropriate lift for it so that you can maintain correct steering/suspension geometry. If you hack it together with a bunch of parts from different trucks then you will end up with serious steering/suspension issues that will not only affect the ride of your truck but you could create serious safety issues for yourself. The higher you raise the truck by taller thicker springs the more your caster/camber will be out of whack. You could cause yourself severe problems that could cause you to roll your truck without addressing these problems. I am all for you making your truck how you want it to look but just make sure you do it safely otherwise you will be contributing to the political agenda that doesn't want us to modify our vehicles and if you have an accident you will become one more statistic that they can use against us.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:12 AM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am personally one for peiceing together a lift. i did my entire 9 inch lift on my truck, with about 5 differtant companies... but, as i did it, i had a templet to go from, and differant peoples insight on how that product worked...

but i have to say this, as an off highway driver, its a 2wd, doesnt belong lifted.... just leave it alone. but if you really want to.. it is going to be pointless...

now as for just leveling it out. i like it when people do this, your nor my truck is not a dragster, and doesnt belong sitting nose heavy. so to raise the front of the truck, rather then putting in a 2500 spring, which will give you horrible ride due to a very tight spring rate, which is where the added height comes from.... jsut look up a company like daystar, or as you siad, summit has a wholesale that your job does or somethin, look in the catloge, they have all sorts of leveing kits... much easier, will most likely not mess anything up, and still have stock ride quality. and its the same price if not cheaper to do this... try this out....

http://www.summitracing.com/search/M...=leveling+kits

Old 09-13-2009, 10:00 AM
95MaroonMonster
Record Breaker

1+ on what meanwhite said

i pieced together a 3 inch lift for my cherokee, i spent a lil over 48 bucks for springs, the custom shock mounts i built out of steel i already had, but shocks killed me at 102 bucks, but it was totally worth it, especially when i can out wheel someone with a built truck with a several hundred dollar lift

Old 09-13-2009, 11:00 AM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

Building a lift from diffrerent sources
and putting one together "because I don't have any money
and need to do it cheaply" are apples and oranges.
It hasn't changed since I was the OPs age,
and it certainly won't work now.
Rigging up suspension mods purely by cost has proven
both unreliable and dangerous, and the comment
that it creates statistics for the "do - gooders" of the world
to use against us is spot on.
There are several kits availible for 2wd trucks that provide the
proper springs, arms, and spindles to lift your truck properly.
While they are not cheap, they will do a much better job
than swapping out springs and using crappy rubber spacers which do more harm long term than good and create an alignment nightmare.

The sad part is that you already believe you can get away with this
and undo what engineers and the like spent hundreds of man hours and
countless computations and mock ups figuring out.
At that time congrats... maybe you'll make the Darwin list.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:18 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok, first off, i did not build my lift becauss of money, i did it to get rid of what skyjacker calls a quality part. and got things like the dtprofab extended adjustable trac-bar, BDS suspentions shackle flip kit... dick cepek long arm kit.. i did it to have the best of all worlds... rather then buying the kit and paying more money, i accually saved a few thousand by doing this...

as for doing a lift on the two wheel drive. to me agian is pointless, but some people do it.. and there are plenty of kits yes... and most of them are just the " crappy" rubber spacers... and they mostly all come with all hardwear needed to do it right... by leveling, isnt goign to make the truck anymore unsafe then a 3 ton rolling peice of steel already is... now on the same hand, no you cant do this to ccaully lift the truck.. if you want to lift it. you wil need alot more parts then its worth. including new drop spindles, which then need new ball joints... then to the rear, whick is not bad but then you have to look into if you really want to do all thisfor " a look", if you have a 97 44, then why lift te 2X anyway?

Quick Reply: wants to lift truck