2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

TC lockup and OD questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 03:01 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default TC lockup and OD questions

what speed does the tc lockup? and when does the OD kick in?

reason i ask about the tc is when my truck is cold and i take off, it seems to run funny when it shifts into 2nd gear like its surging/ missing.....just not real sure if its the engine thats doing it...if i take off WOT it runs great and every great once in awhile i get a tc lockup solenoid code....

as for the OD ?, when im in town going around 30 i can turn od off and my rpms rise like it was actually in od, shouldnt it not go into od until around 55?

Old 09-15-2009, 03:42 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i was told that the torque converter locks in 3rd and 4th gear.
the reason i got my trans rebuilt was because of the same symptoms.
i talked to one dodge guy and he said accumulator as soon as i finished the sentence. the accumulator springs break all the time and they will screw with the shifts. also if your governor pressure solenoid is clogged up then it will screw with the shifts.

i believe you can change those with the transmission in the truck. i'm pretty sure you can leave the valve body on during replacement also.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:59 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well it was doing this b4 and after i put in my SK and nothing looked bad in there.....but once it warms up, not even a mile down the road i can stop completely and take off and be as smooth as can be

Old 09-15-2009, 04:59 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

when mine was screwing up it bucked like an angry bull under moderate throttle between 1st and 2nd. at WOT it shifted perfectly.
it also felt like it just plopped into o/d instead of smoothly shifting.

my governor pressure was half what it should have been and i had a broken accumulator spring. they guy also put in a new rear sprag and all new clutches. he told me that it wasn't near as bad as he has seen because people normally run them into the ground when they know that they'll need a rebuild.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:09 AM
gobbell1
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Q1. what speed does the tc lockup?
A1. Depends on TC specs (OEM, aftermarket etc...)

Q2. when does the OD kick in?
A2. Mine kicks in around 40mph. However, mine has been rebuilt with a different TC and shift kit.

When you are in OD, your RPMs will be lower, because you are "effectively using a higher gear (highway gear)", for the sole purpose of reducing engine revs and increasing fuel economy. When you press the magic OD button on the dash, the tranny kicks out of OD and back into 3rd gear, which will raise engine revs (and make you feel like you have a sports car!!!)

Quick Reply: TC lockup and OD questions