2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

timing question

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 02:28 PM
szarin
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing question

hello guys, never had to change timing on my dodge before. need some help.

first, haynes manual is useless for this, couldnt find any info for the procedure or what the recommended dwell/timing setting is.

do i have to take off any vacuum lines to set the timing right? what should i set the timing to? other than just make sure it idles smooth because it does that now, but its not quite right?

thanks. gotta do this before it rains heh.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:03 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can't adjust the timing on these rams. If your having rough idle problems, clean your IAC, and maybe it's time for a major tune up.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:07 PM
szarin
Rookie

im in the final stages of putting a 408 into the truck, i have brand new iac. just trying to fine tune it by rotating the cap just a bit to get better timing... i should be able to do that.

Last edited by szarin; 09-17-2009 at 04:14 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:13 PM
palerider9999
Rookie

Wrong

Old 09-17-2009, 08:33 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Timing is set by the PCM based on input from the crank and cam position sensors and other factors, not the distributor. That's why there's nothing about it in the manual, because it is not adjustable.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:58 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by szarin
im in the final stages of putting a 408 into the truck, i have brand new iac. just trying to fine tune it by rotating the cap just a bit to get better timing... i should be able to do that.
You can adjust the fuel sync this way, but you only have about a -10 to +10 range before the crank and cam sensors will shut the truck down for going out of sync. Base ignition timing isn't adjustable, except for a few degrees by slotting the crack sensor. Not worth it, IMHO.

A good general rule is for N/A trucks a + range fuel sync is optimal, (sprays just before the intake valve opens. Ensures the whole fuel charge gets in the cylinder.)

For forced induction a - range is usually favorable (spraying after the intake valve has opened a bit. The forced air will grab the charge and slam it into the cylinder, so it's better to not have it slammed into the cylinder and out the exhaust valve that might still be slightly open.)

There's a guy on another forum I frequent that stated that while fiddling with his fuel sync, he found a 30hp difference between the "best manners" and "max power" fuel sync. That was a blown application IIRC, so the gains might be minimal on a naturally aspirated vehicle.

You definitely need a scanner to set it though.

Quick Reply: timing question