2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Catalytic converter 5.9L

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 07:59 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I just checked mine and while the o2 sensor is mounted on a differenty pipe about 2 feet from the cat I do have the 2 inlet and single outlet cat myself.... Guess thats why It didnt make sense to me...Of course we would have to have a special cat or fab something up with an additiona $25 Ypipe

Old 09-17-2009, 08:19 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

just found this direct fit one for $75 shipped after a twenty dollar core rebate for the old one...the bolt in ones without welding are lot more though.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/dodge...=p4506.c0.m245

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 09-17-2009 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:46 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i wasn't counting ebay. lol. i paid $206 (i think) shipped from summit for my magnaflow direct fit cat. i dont know, cuz i cant get on ebay (im at my work, internet blocked)

Old 09-17-2009, 10:11 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by wjxavier
i wasn't counting ebay. lol. i paid $206 (i think) shipped from summit for my magnaflow direct fit cat. i dont know, cuz i cant get on ebay (im at my work, internet blocked)
Do you understand how ebay even works?
There nothing funny about it there are stores and distributers sell the same stuff as the markup catalog companies like summit for way better prices... And I can say that. I've bought over 300 items there in the last 8 years and only got burned once and ebay got me my money back..... laugh all you want but the joke is on you for paying too much most of the time. that why so many hate ebay....cuts out a lot of the ridiculous markups on stuff thats otherwise hard to find. I saved $800 alone on my tires and rims for my vette by buying them there from the company that distributes them to mid america who marks them up 150% and resells them
Like anything common sense comes into play and reading feedback BEFORE buying is the thing most who bitch about it didnt do.
Look at craigslist....its practically an online flea market and still you can find great deals there... just bought my truck there.... and $1,300 in NEW assesories from Ebay to go with it.... if I bought that same exact stuff elswhere I would have paid closer to $2600...now thats funny!
Unbelievable ! Since when did where we buy our truck parts become a status thing? the OP said he didnt have a lot of money spend anyways.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:17 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

BTW summit has a store on ebay too! ....and no its not for seconds.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:25 AM
DODGEPWR
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
Do you understand how ebay even works?
There nothing funny about it there are stores and distributers sell the same stuff as the markup catalog companies like summit for way better prices... And I can say that. I've bought over 300 items there in the last 8 years and only got burned once and ebay got me my money back..... laugh all you want but the joke is on you for paying too much most of the time. that why so many hate ebay....cuts out a lot of the ridiculous markups on stuff thats otherwise hard to find. I saved $800 alone on my tires and rims for my vette by buying them there from the company that distributes them to mid america who marks them up 150% and resells them
Like anything common sense comes into play and reading feedback BEFORE buying is the thing most who bitch about it didnt do.
Look at craigslist....its practically an online flea market and still you can find great deals there... just bought my truck there.... and $1,300 in NEW assesories from Ebay to go with it.... if I bought that same exact stuff elswhere I would have paid closer to $2600...now thats funny!
Unbelievable ! Since when did where we buy our truck parts become a status thing? the OP said he didnt have a lot of money spend anyways.

Hmmm, WTF was that for? Why did you attack him like that? Make's no sense to me..

He wasnt laughing AT ebay. or making fun of ebay. Learn how to read posts correctly please.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:13 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion

did you read his post ....."I wasnt counting ebay lol... I got mine at summit".....Explain to me why you would laugh after that statment then because If I read it wrong I apologize
The way i read it, That was basically a shot at me and ebay and I didnt really mean to attack him...I just got a little carried away with my post and I'm sorry if it came out too harsh.

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 09-18-2009 at 09:15 AM.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:44 AM
gobbell1
Professional

I had a clogged cat, gutted it and love it! It breathes better and sounds better. Best of all, it cost me $0.

You can either cut a section of the cat out, remove the crap, then weld it back together

OR

remove the aft pipe, jam a small rod into the cat, crank the truck and blow out the crap (nasty, deadly stuff), then reassemble

Old 09-20-2009, 02:35 AM
mick74

Thanks for the replies. I noticed my plugs did have a burnt/rust look to them when I changed them. I also have a slight lifter tap "passenger side". Will a bad cat possibly cause a lifter to tap?

Old 09-20-2009, 07:28 AM
palerider9999
Rookie

I think that tan, brown look is what you want with your plugs. As far as the lifter tap..... I would just try to get used to it.. Mine did it for thousands of miles. Factory lifters are not the greatest.. I know, I just did a rebuild and made the mistake of using OEM lifters...

Quick Reply: Catalytic converter 5.9L