2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Another engine control fuse problem

Old 09-17-2009, 08:16 PM
shadow357x2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another engine control fuse problem

Ok, I know this is my first post but Im beating my head against the wall here.
97 1500 w/ 318 and 4x4
Ive had an intermittent electrical issue with the engine control fuse blowing and untill this morning Ive just replaced the fuse. Today I hit the final bump and no have created a definite short to ground.
When I replace the above fuse and turn the ignition on it will blow.
Ive gone into the pdc and found that that fuse goes directly to the asd relay , then put an ohmmeter to the post of the asd and found pin 87 is showing continuity to ground, after going into my alldata program here I see that the dark green and orange wire goes to the injector,o2 sensor (one on this truck exhaust modded), egr solenoid.
I unplugged each injector and now have all of them off, wiggle tested the wire harness, and the o2 sensor wire with no change in the ohmmeter. still showing a dead short.
From what I am seeing the above locations are the only areas that that wire goes, am I missing something stupid?
I have recently had a problem on bumpy roads, and just bumps in general which tells me that maybe it a moving wire and finally wore through.
One odd thing though is that when I take the ignition run fuse out and replace the 30 amp engine control fuse it wont blow. Could this possible be a faulty ignition switch? I know this is an issue with fords but never heard of it in a mopar.
Any thoughts would be appeciated

Phil

Last edited by shadow357x2; 09-17-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:59 PM
Ram_Me
Captain

Welcome to DodgeForum!

I'm basically just writing this so that you can get bumped back up to the top of the list so someone who knows more about wiring can help!

Old 09-18-2009, 07:02 AM
charlie1935
Record Breaker

Me too.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:49 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It might be the ign. switch. Do you have a tilt wheel? Either way, I'd remove the covers on the steering column and check the wires just to eliminate that as a prob. You can also download this manual https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...tmas-guys.html which has wiring diagrams.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:04 AM
shadow357x2

Thanks for the info and the welcome, I hated to come in here on my first post begging but sometimes we have to.
This old truck has 200k on it and even though I have two newer ones its the one that gets elected to go whenever I go somewhere.
Im going out in a few to unplug the O2 sensor and see if the short goes away, I did unplug ecm and the short is still there. After unplugging the harness on the firewall the short went away so that rules out the pdc all the way to the harness connector.
Zman, you mentioned a possible ignition switch as well as I did, does this wire change colors somewhere along the way and go there. Ive looked in my alldata program and couldnt find it and also the dl link you sent for a 01 and not seeing it. maybe Im reading it wrong?
Somewhere Ive read that it could possibly be the alternator, now there is a 110 amp fuse at the beginning of the pdc, would that blow if that was the case? I could just unhook it to find out though duhh..

Thanks

Phil

Old 09-18-2009, 11:25 AM
shadow357x2

Ok , we are making progress.
After disconnecting the wiring harness both inside and out I still had a short to ground, decided to do another wiggle test with the ohmmeter and found that when I really tugged at the center most harness off of the main one that runs across the wiper cowl that it was my culprit. This one runs down from the main harness behind the egr solenoid towards the tranny. Im hooking up all connectors with the meter going and so far all is showing good. Seems that over time that there is a wire thats not exactly protect good enough to go 200k.
Next step after finding the ground demon is checking the motor mounts and tranny mounts to see if maybe one may be bad to cause this. Either way we will know sometime today where t5he demon is and what to do.

Phil

Old 09-19-2009, 12:20 PM
shadow357x2

Ok , problem solved. As I mentioned before the harness that comes off the main one that goes across the wiper cowl and splits off then goes down behind the egr solenoid was the culprit.
Where it comes down the top of the tranny and back to the O2 sensors it had rubbed over time. quick repair and a little rerouting to hopefully keep it from happening again.

Phil

Old 09-19-2009, 03:36 PM
charlie1935
Record Breaker

Good deal!

Last edited by charlie1935; 09-19-2009 at 03:40 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:45 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Glad you figured it out, and thanks for letting us know what the problem was.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:11 PM
greanbeans
Rookie

This has helped me so much now to go check

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another engine control fuse problem