2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

overheating problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 10:08 PM
pizzo
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sawed Up
I noticed my ram leaking a little coolant this evening. The temp gauge always reads slightly over 95, never seen it get higher. As I was looking her over for the source of the leak, while it was running I noticed the upper rad hose is hot, and the lower rad hose is almost cool to the touch. The over flow bottle has been low on water a couple times over the last little while (not in the oil). Seems slightly wet around the water pump casting, but there is an accumulation of dirt there perhaps a slight oil leak, or the seep hole? Pulley seems tight. While the truck is running I can squeeze the upper rad hose and there does not seem to be any resistance at all. I can not feel or hear water rushing by. All leads me to believe the water pump may have given up. What do you think.
pressure test it and see what it does. Just because the bearing is tight don't mean the seal isn't any good.

Old 11-01-2009, 04:56 PM
kwynn95ram360

Now I'm having the same kinda problem, kind of.

No leaks, no water in the oil or oil in the water. Heater works fine

Will idle at 195 all day long.
Will bounce between 195 - 220 at 70 mph

Over 75 mph temp starts going up. If hills are involved it gets up to 250.
If I slow back down then it goes back to around 210 after about 5-10 minutes. The second I speed up again it starts creeping back up.

Did a complete flush. Fluid was brownish in color but cleared up after about 10 minutes.

Still getting hot. I can't for the life of me figure it out. Radiator holds way to much fluid to seem plugged. Put on a new rad cap.

I don't know what else to try. I thought about changing the thermostat but like I said earlier it will idle at the correct temp all day without getting hot.

Ideas?

Thanks

Old 11-01-2009, 08:26 PM
pizzo
All Star

Originally Posted by kwynn95ram360
Now I'm having the same kinda problem, kind of.

No leaks, no water in the oil or oil in the water. Heater works fine

Will idle at 195 all day long.
Will bounce between 195 - 220 at 70 mph

Over 75 mph temp starts going up. If hills are involved it gets up to 250.
If I slow back down then it goes back to around 210 after about 5-10 minutes. The second I speed up again it starts creeping back up.

Did a complete flush. Fluid was brownish in color but cleared up after about 10 minutes.

Still getting hot. I can't for the life of me figure it out. Radiator holds way to much fluid to seem plugged. Put on a new rad cap.

I don't know what else to try. I thought about changing the thermostat but like I said earlier it will idle at the correct temp all day without getting hot.

Ideas?

Thanks
I am having another durango with the same problem you are having. over heats when driving.
changed thermostat no idea yet if that fixed it water pump is good don't see it wheeping out the hole.
It idles all day at 195degrees start driving it temps 220-240 degrees. next is for me to install a trans temp gauge on the thing and see what its says. The trans maybe over heating it.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:22 AM
kwynn95ram360

Originally Posted by pizzo
I am having another durango with the same problem you are having. over heats when driving.
changed thermostat no idea yet if that fixed it water pump is good don't see it wheeping out the hole.
It idles all day at 195degrees start driving it temps 220-240 degrees. next is for me to install a trans temp gauge on the thing and see what its says. The trans maybe over heating it.
I'm having the transmission fluid and filter changed tomorrow. I'll let you know if that helps any. May be a few days as I'm out of town this week, It should get a good test Tuesday evening as I'll be going up some pretty steep, and long grades(5%).

Quick Reply: overheating problem