2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Remote starters

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 12:21 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Remote starters

hey was wonder who all has an electric start for there truck , and what the best onw that would work, not looking for the best looking for one that would work ??

Old 09-24-2009, 02:09 PM
helms
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the El' Cheapo Command Start in my truck. it was like $130 and it has worked without a problem for almost two years. you will need some module thing to interface the factory alarm/anti theft system through the command start module so you can control it with your new fob.

its advertised to go 1000ft, but it will only go that far if there is NOTHING in the way. i can start it anywhere in my house though.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:28 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a re-coil start in the Dodge! PITA in the winter!

Old 09-24-2009, 03:33 PM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty sure all of our starters are electric. I haven't seen a crank starter on any 2nd gen Ram. Or a gas powered starter for that matter. Maybe a pull cord like on a lawn mower. You might be able to rig up something like that. For a quality electric starter I would start shopping Napa. As for looks, I'd imagine they are all about the same. I don't know why you'd put a chrome one on your truck.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:42 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thread title changed to protect the guilty.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:13 PM
terranova
Professional

I have the Viper5900 Security/Remote Start in my truck. It's awesome! Especially in the winter when it gets to 16 degrees in the morning and in the summer when its 116 out turns the AC on and it's cool by the time you get there. The furthest I have started it from was 4136 feet (took a little roller and walked down a runway at an abandoned airport :P was the longest walk of my life -_-) but that was a straight shot no buildings in the way. In Wal-Mart I park in the far back corner of the lot and go into the back of the building ad it worked (about 900 feet) I mostly like that it alerts you when something happens. You can turn the sensitivity up so if a small and I mean small gust of wind comes through it will set it off (I don't recommend it).

Old 09-25-2009, 10:25 AM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A small gust of wind starts your motor? Happens to me sometimes too when I don't see the gf for a while.

Anyway, I have a Bulldog and I would probably not recommend it. It is useful but it is a pain in the **** to install and the range isn't all that great.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:44 PM
hirschy
Veteran

I think I have an "autostart" remote starter, it works very well had it for about 3 years, its a 2 way system, the range is like 2500-3000ft and goes through some buildings.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:55 PM
terranova
Professional

Originally Posted by Aubrey
A small gust of wind starts your motor? Happens to me sometimes too when I don't see the gf for a while.

Anyway, I have a Bulldog and I would probably not recommend it. It is useful but it is a pain in the **** to install and the range isn't all that great.
No no no it sets off the alarm. I have to hit 2 buttons simultaneously to start it.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:37 PM
DaReaper

I run a bulldog. It's been in my truck for 11yrs, but I've noticed it's starting to die and I suspect has become the source of my drain on the battery.

Quick Reply: Remote starters