2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Starting delayed, dying at low spped while braking

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 02:19 AM
jjtroutbum
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting delayed, dying at low spped while braking

OK first the symptoms

Today started to crank once or twice before firing up most all day. Warm or cold. This truck has always fired right up seemingly almost before I had the key turned all the way.

Tonight leaving some friends place after dinner and a movie the truck dimly cranked to a start like like it had all day. Left preceded fairly slowly down a county road maybe half a mile. let of the accelerator on an up ward bend predicting a few deer in a field. I gently applied the brake and it stalls. While rolling I shifted to neutral and it dimly cranked back to life. Preceded on my way to drop a pal off at his place no more problems. Highways, pit stop for a caffeinated beverage, couple back roads with stop signs. At a gravel road to his street I am slowing to a stop to pitch a large rock out of the road when it dies again. Starts just as dimly not noticeably worse to start. Does this twice more driving a short distance up his road into his driveway.

Park under the dusk till dawn check serp. belt, batt. connections all new clean tight and looks perfect start with engine bay light unplugged see no arching. All Though I am sure the plugs and wires could be updated. Plugged in the OBDII scanner only throws a Speed sensor out put code that's been around to damn long.

Found nothing started truck back up drove home some stops but mostly highway.

My observations other pos. pertinent things

Truck idles great smooth as butter, runs the same except shift a lil irregular but not hard or what not / Need to replace the out put speed sensor again.
One time driving up a steep incline slowly. Died much the same way but this was soon after purchase. Don't remember it happening since.

One night while dropping a friend home turned the truck off. Couple minutes later would not start cranked the snot out of it in park, neutral, checked same stuff as described above. Would not start. Three hours later after much concern and for thought that lead me no-ware. Went back turned the key started so easy was like the truck was a horse that had its own agenda.

Other night while in a drive-thu in drive foot on brake musta dimmed or something really cant remember what. I looked and the AMP gauge was low about 12 put it in park and 14 as normal.

Have a couple of ideas where to start looking, but really want input from the hive.

Sorry for the long post

Thanks

Jon

Last edited by jjtroutbum; 09-28-2009 at 02:23 AM. Reason: "RAMbulling Man" lol
Old 09-28-2009, 11:15 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

sounds like the alternator is dying. get it tested.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:51 AM
halfamil
All Star

Check the battery also.These Rams do strange things if it's on the way out or just weak.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:55 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

also check connections and clean if needed...could have a poor one.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:28 AM
jjtroutbum
Professional
Wink Another giant post for this guy again

First thanks to those that offered their suggestions. Your time spent helping others here will always be considered generous and a tell tail sign of quality in your character.

And just so all know and hopefully do for themselves as well.

I did search the forum last night before posting this thread. And had noticed that the previous posters that wrote about similar problems just seemed to have idling and stalling issues never mentioning there situations coming and going or being seemingly intermittent.

Instead they seemed to describe. All of a sudden having to operate with both feet to keep there trucks actually idling/running and being erratic. Possibly running too fast while or after warm up or pumping accelerator to keep the engine from falling flat every time. So I was not certain that there diagnosis would be the same as mine.

That is why I kept my suspicions private hoping to have owners share opinions as to where or what to look into. Before just tossing a part at a problem and maybe wasting cash that I certianly do not have excess reserves of.

So left the house to go fly a kite....lol. No really was a nice day here with a constant breeze and I own a new kite. But before I made it to the local park the truck started its stalling. I restarted rolling not very fast in neutral once. Then again a little further down the road and my problem worsened and was no longer coming and going. It just would not idle was just falling flat as I got into the park so I pedaled an idol shifting into neutral at stops or in traffic. It just fought me all the way to the nearest corporate type parts store. Now its acting exactly like the failed Idol air sensor (IAC). I had read numerous threads about last night. So I asked for one at the counter and did request that before I made my fifty dollar purchase that we go out and check the alternator and battery like the posters here suggested. Even though I had checked all the connections for fit and corrosion the previous night under the dusk to dawn light at my friends. Before a stall free trip home.

Go out start the truck for the test. Its still faltering but after a couple restarts its back to its self dimly starting but idling perfect. Counter guy not seeming to be an idiot or know it all speculator type as some can tend to be at the big box parts stores. Runs the tester and explains while showing me the results of each. Which reveal that both batt. and alt. are fine. Bought my new IAC sensor and left. Engine this time starts fine and drives home sweet and easy.

Removed breather assembly then realize that. The tools that I need are not where I should have returned them too. So after I take the Seabring to Sears. I spend about another fifty!! Buying a new ratcheting screwdriver(not needed but looked handy. It was not a help), A ratcheting nut-driver and bit set combo(could not find regular driver or proper torx bit. And a mechanics mirror so I could see what I was attempting to do.

I had it off in a few minutes to find out how carbonized or soot covered my old one was. If I can find the card or cord for the camera I will post up some pictures of it but it appears to have been the original part with 200k on the truck.

Went on quick and easy. Started up idle high/roaring like a cold start but settled down quickly while still in the driveway. Went out and took the long way to go pick apples and pears. And let the ECU relearn what it needs. Noticed better/more acceleration in overdrive. Usually it seems to want to down shift for hardly any pedal. Start up seemed a little less labored also but still think it was quicker before this started.

However I will declare another successful repair thanks to the generous sharing of knowledge and experience on the easiest to research thanks to actually having working search engine. If the rest of the sight is as good as 2nd Gen. I would be pleasantly surprised

No More stalling!!!!!

Old 10-07-2009, 01:51 AM
jjtroutbum
Professional

Then it starts again??? Stalling occasionally while driving slow or at or approaching a stop.

If a mod wanted to fix the spelling error on the thread title I would appreciate it.

Last edited by jjtroutbum; 10-07-2009 at 02:06 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:46 AM
Iamamammal
Amateur

had the same problem the water pump pully was loose and was rubbing on the shroud.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:03 PM
jjtroutbum
Professional

double tap

Last edited by jjtroutbum; 10-07-2009 at 05:06 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:05 PM
jjtroutbum
Professional

Originally Posted by Iamamammal
had the same problem the water pump pully was loose and was rubbing on the shroud.
So the pump pulley was loose enough that the fan wobbled against the shroud. Wow if that the case good thing it didn't end up destroying that radiator and other things by flying apart.

However I'll check it, but my water pump was fixed by myself and installed by the numbers so to say. And there is no leaking from the weep hole or any other coolant loss.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:55 AM
jjtroutbum
Professional

Damn thing!!! Well I guess its the IAC again. Started the wont vidle with out my foot in it again. Guess Its good to have a warranty on new parts.

Quick Reply: Starting delayed, dying at low spped while braking