2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Odd ticking noise. Not engine related

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 11:55 AM
mstruhs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd ticking noise. Not engine related

I have noticed an odd ticking noise coming from under my 99 dodge ram 1500.
It sounds as if i have a piece of baling wire stucj on the drive shaft that hits something as as the drive shaft turns. At first i thought is was at the rear now I believe it is at the front. With the windows up I will not hear it, nor will I hear it at higher speeds (wind). I just had new tires put on 2 months ago and the vehilce inspected. I have been trying to figure this out for some time now. Yesterday, i was riding my motorcyle and noticed two other dodges both with the same ticking noise. One was a 2500 the other a 1500--it was an almost identical ticking noise.
It is not the engine--it is clearly realted to vehicle movment.

I do need a new track bar (2nd one) apx 84,000 miles, but I doubt that is it.

Since I have now heard it on other dodges--I thought someone here may be familair with the noise.

TY for any feed back

Old 09-29-2009, 02:04 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if your u joints in the drive shaft were lacking grease then it would make a noise like that and you would only hear it in drive at low speed.
take your drive shaft off and move the u joints around to feel for any binding.

Quick Reply: Odd ticking noise. Not engine related