2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

got a weird problem i cant figure out...

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 08:38 AM
jusfuris
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got a weird problem i cant figure out...

Just recently my truck, 2001 Sport 5.2, just started doing this thing where when i turn it off it struggles and then finally dies. Its more like it is stalling than me turning it off. I think its called "diesling" or something. it just wants to keep running even after its off.

The thing is though that it only happens when i have turned it on and move it a short distance (less than a mile or so) and then turn it off. If i drive it more than that it turns off just fine. and it doesnt seem to be that its not warmed up because it happens when i just move it in the driveway cold, AND when ive been driving for over an hour , stop at a gas station, then move from pump to parking spot. so its short distance/time causing this but im not sure why.

Anyway the truck runs just fine while driving, this problem only happens when i turn it off.

Any suggestions?

Old 10-01-2009, 12:40 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just a quick guess, but I would start by checking for any loose or chaffing wires. others will soon chime in.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:14 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I do recall reading about this before and, there's a component to blame in this situation. But, the problem is, I can't remember what component!

But, we could walk through the sequence of what is supposed to happen when you stop the ignition. One is to kill power to the injectors and ignition system and, that is done through the ASD relay. That one relay switches power on / off for the fuel pump, your injectors and your ignition system.

It sounds like it's not disengaging sometimes. That would be the first thing that I would check. This Automatic Shutdown Relay (ASD) can be found in the engine bay, drivers side fender, in the black plastic box called Power Distribution Center (PDC).

Start there.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:49 PM
jusfuris
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good advice! i'll do both of those, thanks guys!

I had already checked the spark plugs and they look great, but i didnt think to check the wires or look around at other wires.

will that relay be easy to tell if its gone bad?

Old 10-02-2009, 11:08 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if it is an intermittent problem then it would be hard to tell if the relay is bad or not.
the easiest way to tell if it is the problem is to swap it for another non-essential relay like the fog lights or the horn (provided they work) and run it to see if you still have the problem. if it turns out to be the relay then you can get a new one at advance for about 8$.

Quick Reply: got a weird problem i cant figure out...