2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tranny and sensors issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 01:35 PM
Ram1500v8
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tranny and sensors issue

I have a 96 ram 1500 with a 318.
I just put the motor in about a month ago and still have not driven the truck yet i can only get 1st and 2nd gear it will not shift into 3rd for anything. Do I need to put a new trans in it? Before i started the new motor up i have drained the trans fluid and put a new filter and fluid in it. and when i took the trans pan off there was a lot oh shavings in the pan. Not sure if there is something i can do to try and fix this problem or do i have to go spend the money and find a trans and put it in? Hopefully someone can help me out.. Thank You so much..

One more question, i had put a 98 jeep motor in it same motor just some different stuff on it. I can not find a spot to put my temp senor at? no sure what to do about it i need my temp gauge to work.. the only spot i see to put it is where the air/fuel rad senors is and i need that.. can someone help me out with that? Thank You soo much

Old 10-01-2009, 01:43 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Can't help with the trans, but the temp sensor goes to the left or right of the tstat. It's burried done in there. And what is an air/fuel rad sensor?

Also I just noticed yours is a 96, 98 only uses one temp sensor and it's under the alternator. The other one on a 96 is under or nearby the AC unit.

Last edited by zman17; 10-01-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:49 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

And look at this thread, your tranny issue may be listed. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...diagnosis.html

Old 10-01-2009, 02:22 PM
Ram1500v8

Okay on my motor kinda under but behind the alternator is a senor witch im think its a air charge temp senor? But Thats the only senor i can find now on my old 318 that came outta my truck and that same senor but it also had a senor to the right of the Thermostat housing witch they are both on the i wanna say intake? But on my new motor they is no please to put a senor to the right of my thermostat housing. The only place i can find a spot to put the senor is the spot behind my alternator witch already has a senor in there but is not the temp senor.. Hope im not confuseing you.. Thanks For the help and im going to check out that link you sent me

Old 10-01-2009, 03:35 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Like I said, the one under the alternator is the ECT= Engine Coolant Temp sensor which doubles as the sensor for the gauge on a 98. The air charge sensor is on the passenger side of the intake towards the front and on the side of it. Unless the 98 intake has a plug in the hole to the right of the tstat where you can install the temp gauge sensor, then your best and probably the smartest thing to do, along with replacing the lower intake plate with one from Hughes Engines, would be to swap the intakes. Take some pics and post them if you can.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:42 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dude, learn how to spell and construct a sentence or you'll have a hard time getting answers or understanding the technical nature of much of what's in here.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:28 PM
gobbell1
Professional

Ram1500,

Did your truck shift properly before the engine swap? If so, I would start by checking

a) mechanical linkage of the shifter and tranny
b) electrical connectors for the tranny (did you leave any unhooked)

Old 10-02-2009, 03:13 AM
Ram1500v8

Okay. Now on the 96 where the motor has the 2 senors one by the alternator and the other by the a/c. but since the 98 motor only has the spot for a senor by the alternato, The senor that is there now im not to sure what it is for. If I unplug it the truck will not run at all. But it does not run the gauge in the truck for my temp. I will try and get pictures put up tomorrow of it Thank you for all the help..

And The trans did have a problem before i did the motor swap i cant go from 2nd to 3nd but before the swap it would go but no all the time like it should it would be once in a blue moon.. But now it does not wanna go outta 2nd at any time..

Thank You for the help

Old 10-02-2009, 05:32 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

OK, last time I'm saying it! LOL The 98 only has the ONE sensor ECT, Engine Coolant Sensor under the back of the alternator. It tells the PCM the temp of the motor and ALSO is for the temp gauge. The 96 has two, the one under the alternator is for PCM and the one by the AC unit is for the gauge. And unless there is a brass or steel plug you can remove to install the sensor under the AC unit from the 96, you need to swap intakes.

And then we have the IAT also known as air charge sensor, it should be located right in front of the end of the passenger side fuel rail, on the side of the intake.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:29 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well I'm gonna say the tranny issue is the most common two things to fail and cause these symptoms. I had the same issue too.....transducer (or also called the govenor pressure sensor) and the govenor pressure solenoid...both easy to get to when you drop the tranny pan......could also be the speed sensor (might just be covered with shavings) or the throttle position sensor...
There a couple other recent threads about this you could search for also for more info.

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 10-02-2009 at 09:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Tranny and sensors issue