2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

looking to get a little more out of my 318

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 04:52 PM
Reedy17
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile looking to get a little more out of my 318

Alright i was looking for some little things i could do myself to get a little bit more out of my little 318, i have 33 12.50s all around on the beast which weigh a little bit and i just want to get a little more pickup from the truck ive got some things in mind i was just looking for some more suggestions

i was thinking i could put some 1.7 roller rockers, an intake, and when i could afford it a tuner possibly some headers and a cat back down the road, is there any other little things i could do to see a little bit more out of my truck?

as it stands right now i have a stock 98 ram 1500 4x4 to my knowledge nothing is done to it besides the tires and a front leveling kit

Old 10-01-2009, 05:01 PM
halfamil
All Star

That won't be very noticable.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:02 PM
AlabamaRam95
All Star

i think the only thing us 318 owners can do is get voltswagon and weld it to the rear bumper with a coaxial throttle cable.

other than that...we are pretty much screwed.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:05 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

no we arent that gutless. you just have to soend more time and cash to get the gains the 5.9s see.
tear down the motor and rebuild a stroker at 390ci.
do the rockers and fix the plenum. i am positive that it is leaking on ya.
Tuners alway help, but me personally, im going to be looking at boost when i rebuild mine.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:33 PM
AlabamaRam95
All Star

like a procharger? ive been wondering about supercharging and what it would take.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:47 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by AlabamaRam95
like a procharger? ive been wondering about supercharging and what it would take.
Super chargers are great, but not my jive. Dealing with belt slip, trying to figure out where to mount, finding a new belt size, and hoping that you can get one at a parts store anywhere ya go.... Just on and on.

As of right now, I plan on doing an STS build. I've had personal expierence with them, and if they are tuned correctly, will produce better gains than most Scers will. Not to mention, they are a remote mount turbo. Meaning that you don't have it under the hood. This type basically replaces your entire exhaust system and adds a new set of piping into the engine bay.

www.ststurbo.com

Old 10-01-2009, 10:51 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

well the single best thing you can do to get your power back is change the gears to 4.10 or 4.56.....so the gear ratios are at least back to stock

Old 10-02-2009, 12:06 AM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Laramie1997
no we arent that gutless. you just have to soend more time and cash to get the gains the 5.9s see.
tear down the motor and rebuild a stroker at 390ci.
do the rockers and fix the plenum. i am positive that it is leaking on ya.
Tuners alway help, but me personally, im going to be looking at boost when i rebuild mine.
Now there's an idea. I was thinking of either doing that or, stroking out a 360 as I was told by my motor guy that there's more flexibility with that size vs. the 318. I am trying to decide which route to go here.

I also read the post on this remote turbo deal that you had mentioned and was wondering how much of a PITA it would be to deal with all the extra exhaust piping into the engine bay. What else in the chain has to be changed out to accommodate this type of setup. I am just curious to learn as I know zip about turbo setups.

Thanks,

CM

Old 10-02-2009, 12:17 AM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 10-02-2009, 12:37 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by cmckenna
Now there's an idea. I was thinking of either doing that or, stroking out a 360 as I was told by my motor guy that there's more flexibility with that size vs. the 318. I am trying to decide which route to go here.

I also read the post on this remote turbo deal that you had mentioned and was wondering how much of a PITA it would be to deal with all the extra exhaust piping into the engine bay. What else in the chain has to be changed out to accommodate this type of setup. I am just curious to learn as I know zip about turbo setups.

Thanks,

CM
I'll tell ya now, I've not done an STS on an injected motor. The man you need to talk to about that is currently moving across the country right now.

The install we did was on a carbed 454 big block with our 1985 Trans AM.

It's really easy. For us, running the piping up to the motor was tricky because of regulations with NHRA.

STS claims install times at one hour, but that's really not true unless you install them for a living. The real major modification is tapping your oil pump to cool the turbo. Not to mention, you'll need an open tuner, and quite possibly larger injectors.

Another thing, the air filters for the turbos are remote as well. They will be underneath the truck. Many see this as a problem, but it really isn't. STS sells relocation kits and dry chargers for the filters, and many people that use their turbo, mount their filters high up in the fenders to keep rain and mud off of them.

Some are going to tell you that STS kits lag too much. This is a rumor, they spool as quick if not quicker than a conventional engine bay turbo.

Browse through that link I posted, they have lots of pictures. The only bad thing is they DO NOT make a true bolt on kit for our trucks. You have to buy their uni kits and adapt to your applications.