2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Taillights problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 06:59 PM
Big D's Ram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taillights problem

Ok i have a 2000 Dodge ram 1500 and i am having a problem with my tail lights... My lights recently started to stay on after i turned off the truck and i wondered why so i look under the dash and i found a plug that had a bunch of wires connected to it and it had a push lever on the side of it and it was pushed out and when i pushed it in the lights went off??? What does this do and does this control the lights or what??? So i just zip tied the push lever close so the lights are off and turned on the parking lights to have tail lights but i dont have any brake lights...

When i turn the parking lights on(the switch that turns the headlights on, but just one turn) the taillights come on but when i drive and hit the brake pedal the lights dont get any brighter.

Any suggestions... Thanks

Big D

Old 10-04-2009, 07:18 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Uhm...that thing with the plunger is your brake switch. Either it is binding or something is keeping it from returning to the off position when the pedal is up. Since you tied it up the brake lights won't work properly. You need to figure out what is causing it not to work properly.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:23 PM
Big D's Ram

Ya I am going to look and see what is wrong... is the thing with the plunger supposed to be mounted somewhere because it was just dangling when i knoticed it???

Old 10-04-2009, 07:28 PM
Miami_Son
Banned

It should be mounted to the brake lever.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:55 PM
Big D's Ram

Ok now i see what the problem is... Thanks for the help and i will let you know if i solve the problem.... I appreciate it

Old 10-09-2009, 11:07 PM
muppet112
Default tail lights dont work

Ok i have a 2000 Dodge ram 1500 and i am having a problem with my tail lights... My lights recently started to stay on after i turned off the truck and i wondered why so i look under the dash and i found a plug that had a bunch of wires connected to it and it had a push lever on the side of it and it was pushed out and when i pushed it in the lights went off??? What does this do and does this control the lights or what??? So i just zip tied the push lever close so the lights are off and turned on the parking lights to have tail lights but i dont have any brake lights...

When i turn the parking lights on(the switch that turns the headlights on, but just one turn) the taillights come on but when i drive and hit the brake pedal the lights dont get any brighter.

Any suggestions... Thanks

Old 10-10-2009, 12:25 AM
Miami_Son
Banned

Dude, you've posted this 3 times in 3 different threads in 2 different forums, one saying your truck was a 2004. We do not appreciate the multiple cross posts. Behavior like this will get you a nice time out.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:53 AM
gamewiz187
Default Rear tail lights always on

This may be a two part deal. To start if i do not keep a bungee cord on the brake petal pulling it up, the tail lights always stay on. The second part just feels like all of the brake that should be there isnt. Pads rotors fluid are all good. For the first part is it just a sensor that went bad or is there more to the pedal? Any help is appreciated.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:12 PM
Miami_Son
Banned

Thread merged with similar thread. If the pedal does not come all the way back up then the switch that is mounted to it will stay activated. There should be sufficient pressure in the system to return the pedal properly. Sounds like you master cylinder may be bleeding off causing the pressure to drop.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:50 PM
1500wright
Default Brake Lights

Hey how is it going. I got a 1997 Dodge 1500 and i have been having problems with my check emgine light for a while now. The computer always says that there is a problem with me EVAP valve. I have gotten the valve replaced and also all the hoses going to and from it and i have also gotten the charcoal canister replaced. My check engine light still comes on, saying the same stuff. What else could the problem be. Another thing that just started happening is my tail lights are staying on even when the truck is off. Now i dont have automatic lights or anything. To get them to turn off i had to take out my fuse. I dont know whats wrong, any suggestions???

Thanks

Quick Reply: Taillights problem